1988 Univega Alpina Pro - Updated w/ drop bar conversion

Thats looking great,
I am looking forward to seeing it built up i would agree with you i like it minus the decals looks cool although i do like the rainbow decal on the other bike.
regards
tony

Finally finished rebuilding the Alpina pro.. of course the sun had just gone down so I didn't take too many pictures, but here's a few teasers

p1010114yt.jpg

p1010117g.jpg

Changes/upgrades:

* Swapped out MT60 brake levers for MT62 "2 finger" levers with SLR (besides lever length, levers have spring return)
* Swapped out MT60 front cantis for MT62 with SLR (not really sure what was different except MT62 had an extra spring location
* Swapped out original steel handlebars for an aluminum bar
* Kenda K838 fat slick tires
* swapped in metal platform pedals
* added toe clips
* blackburn water bottle cages (need to get a 2nd black one)
* Avid tri-dangle brake hangers
* Control Stix bar ends

I greased the BB, looks like someone greased the wheels (opened up and found new grease.. NICE :D) and possibly the headset (it's super smooth)

I gotta tweak the brakes.. they work great but are noisy as hell.. the rear brakes have new pads so i guess i need to get better at toeing in

This bike is so much fun to ride... just need to upgrade to Hyperglide and silence the brakes and i'll be stoked. Hopefully I'll get a drop bar on there sooner rather than later too..

thanks :D this is just a temporary build until I can set it up with a drop bar. I also plan on swapping in a 7 speed hyperglide freehub body onto the rear wheel.

I wish i had the specs on the geometry of this bike.. it handles really well, especially with the fat slicks. It almost feels like a road bike. I'm used to my Apex which has a super relaxed 68* head tube.. it's like a boat in comparison lol

7 speed hyperglide freehub body swapped in! I didn't even have to redish the wheel which surprised me. Space between the last cog and the drop out is kinda tight though, not sure if I will need to mess with the spacers.

p1010173r.jpg

Probably gonna bring over the rest of the HG drive train from 1989 Apex over to the Univega.. I want to use the Biopace HP rings more than the original biopace rings i've got on the univega now, but the big ring on the HP set I have is only 46t :\

Finally completed my first drop bar conversion :D

p1010339b.jpg

p1010341li.jpg

p1010342jg.jpg

p1010344eo.jpg

Frame: Tange Triple Butted
Fork: Tange chromoly

Brake levers: Cane Creek SCR-5
Brake, front: Deore II MT62 Canti with Avid hanger and Tektro fork mounted cable stop
Brake, rear: Deore MT60 Ubrake with Avid Hanger

Shifters: Deore MT60 thumbies
FD: Deore II MT62
RD: Deore XT M737

Crank arms: Deore MT60
Chainrings: Salsa 52/39
Cassette: Deore HG 7speed 13-30

Wheels: Araya hard anodized
Hubs: Deore MT60

Handlebars: Origin8 Gary II
Stem: Sakae
Seatpost: Kalloy
Headset: Deore MT60
Bottom bracket: Deore MT60

Tires: Kenda K838 1.95"

That's straight sexy, my man!. I love Univega(s) and I'm loving the drop bar conversion. I love how you've kept the Thumbies on this build, how did you mount them? (straight on the bars?) did you need an extension from the bars (i.e. MultiMounts?).

RustyGold":3emgkhdh said:
That's straight sexy, my man!. I love Univega(s) and I'm loving the drop bar conversion. I love how you've kept the Thumbies on this build, how did you mount them? (straight on the bars?) did you need an extension from the bars (i.e. MultiMounts?).

thanks man :D the stock Deore thumbie mounts are steel so i just opened them up wider and put them on the road bar. Then i got some longer bolts to span the slightly wider gap. They do bite into the bar a tiny bit and leave a mark on bars but it's ok.

I like the thumbies but they're not super convenient when riding in the drops.. some Kelly take-offs or even some brifters might be more ideal

I'm really digging the Gary II bar.. it's close to a road bar and the tops, drops and hoods are all ridable.

Back