The Overbury's Wildcat resto

OK, I'm confused.

The only galvanising I have come across is the hot dip type, as used with farm gates, water troughs etc. It is not a process I would put anywhere near a bike frame for too many reasons to go into here.

There is a liquid galv process, Galvafroid (sp?) is one brand I know, but again this is for iron railings and garden gate protection, contains a lot of zinc and weighs a ton. It is also very expensive.

If you are looking for a cheap robust finish, then powder coat would do, but it would be a shame to powder coat a rarity like the Overbury's. I would be inclined to get a decent spray job done by a paint shop that really knows bike frames. I have a Roberts frame that was re-sprayed by Bob Jackson and it is excellent. I believe their prices are good and their turnaround is fast.

i read up on the process that they mentioned and basically it's a zinc primer, i am looking to send the F\F's to argos as it's quite obvious that they did the origanal paint job (location\colourmatching) But decals where do i get them and reproduce what is already on the bike as it haves a mixture of styles.

Zinc primer is an alternative to galvanising, it was used on a lot of the steel products I used to work with.

I think Argos are a wise choice, as they have a pretty good reputation around here.

As for decals, you could try forum member Gil_M as that's his line of business and he may well have produced some in the past, drop him a PM and see what he says.

That'll be a zinc phosphate primer, not galvanising. Fine under powder, but a bit of overkill really. Pretty sure Argos would use it under an enamel coat.

The transfers you have are indeed a hybrid. The coat of arms head tube badges and 'wildcat' name are older, with vinyl cut downtube stickers like the newer frames, but in a different font. IIRC the later ones were in Eras Ultra.

JoeSheffer and I, and a few others have been working on getting some sets of the original waterslide transfers made. Downtube name's sorted, but we've got stuck at the headbadge...any Photoshop people out there who could help. We've got a good coat of arms, but it needs the ribbon with Overbury's putting on.
bristol-coat-arms.jpg
P8080679rev.jpg

All the best,

between the pair that are on my frame will give very good reference it's all there in regards to the ribbon. I'm fairly sure I know how to id the fonts ;) ;)

Re:

danson67":2v19n5mt said:
JoeSheffer and I, and a few others have been working on getting some sets of the original waterslide transfers made. Downtube name's sorted, but we've got stuck at the headbadge...any Photoshop people out there who could help. We've got a good coat of arms, but it needs the ribbon with Overbury's putting on.
bristol-coat-arms.jpg
P8080679rev.jpg

I've made a quick start on it, I reckon it'll need a few more hours work but is this the kid of thing that you're after?

Attachments

• bristol-coat-arms.jpg
    bristol-coat-arms.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 385
it's the downtube decals I need to workout i do have access to a font book it's just several hundred miles away, things are a bit hectic at the mo' and tbh 'onest this bike deserves being done well, the frame and forks will be sent to argos to be resprayed, a set of bars i am asking Paulus Quiros to make that suit the bike, this is a long term project as this is a rare cat indeed and as the wildcat is the emblem of the sutherland's (my surname) i feel honour bound to do it full justice.
the saddle is the easiest to sort out a brooks ladies pioneer.
i have tracked down another overbury's mind and in my size :)

Rob H:
That looks brilliant! Joe Sheffer's looking for these, too.
Do you want something for couple of hours' work?..happy to fund.

I can take some better side pictures of the headbadge to get the ends of the scroll tidy.
I've also got the font required for the downtube name and dimensions, just need to find the right apostrophe. Weirdly, it's not Cheltenham like the rest. :?

P8080678.jpg

All the best,

Back