Tech question A2 vs A4 stainless steel

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
A very simple tech question for the metalologists.

I have been using stainless fittings on my bikes and the benefits are mainfold. Oh the joy of taking apart items that look great and haven't welded themselves up with rust. Best of all you can source fixings from companies like ScrewFix for pocket change.

The question I need answering is; What is the difference or benefits of A2 against A4 stainless steel?

I imagine it has much to do with the composition of the alloy, percentage of chromium present, etc.

For my purposes it needs to be able to withstand salted roads, take cold temperatures and look pretty.

Might have found the answer

... it is not a question of material strength, but a matter of resistance to corrosion. Due to its higher Molybden content, A4 Stainless Steel is more corrosion-proof against agressive substances. For this reason, it is widely used in the chemical industry, as well as the food processing industry. All tanks, pipes and valves coming into contact with food are made of A4 Stainless Steel.

Thanks chaps

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

One of the websites I came across said similar "A2 for above the waterline and A4 for below". :D

PurleySquire":371wyzcn said:
I have been using stainless fittings on my bikes
For my purposes it needs to be able to withstand salted roads, take cold temperatures and look pretty.

Don't forget the anti seize and Duralac.

Don't forget that using grease on threads will affect the torque of the fastener.
I.E. it reduces friction meaning that if you tighten it to 10Nm, it will not be as secure as a dry 10Nm.

If you know what I mean.
I know what I mean but it's trying to get it over :LOL:

Back