Five steps of RetroBiking...(so far)

Amazed just how long this thread has been going. Sadly lots of the stuff I collected enthusiastically is gathering dust in the garage now ......somehow life and work has got in the way. But I live in hope of a revival!

Hadn't seen this before but how its made me laugh and say "bang on" a lot! Thats the beauty of this forum, there are so many good people on here its a place for the bike nerd in me feed my habit! For example the guys at work. They find out that I'm interested in older Mountain bikes for roughly 30secs they are interested. Then as I explain "the thing I like about Zolatone is"...you see them glaze over!

40 - Realise that no matter the bike, or what it cost you to build...That bikes are for riding not making the shed/garage "look nice"!

Wook

28. the bike you spent ages building to pefection thus becomes too good to ride.....so you then build another one not realising the same will happen again.......

I do this ALL the time!

Epic funny thread.

41 - You invest in +/- 1 gram accurate digital scales that are not to be used for cooking or foodstuffs..... bike parts and shipping prices only.

brocklanders023":1ey20dcr said:
30. Going to view a possible purchase from a chap that just wants rid of his 'no longer used/loved/wanted bike' and watching his eyes glaze over as you witter on about retro's for far too long.

Never, ever wax eloquently about retro bikes in that situation. You're just there to pick up a slightly-better-than-BSO bike for your <insert relative's title here>. The one in front of you is acceptable (with a bit of work, of course), and you want it for as cheap as possible.

42 - the vicious circle :
A - You buy a frame.
B - You look for the parts you need for building it
C - The bike is completed but now, you got too many parts in your garage
D - For these parts, you decide to find another frame.
E - So go to "A" : "You buy a frame…"

FMJ":30zuut92 said:
brocklanders023":30zuut92 said:
30. Going to view a possible purchase from a chap that just wants rid of his 'no longer used/loved/wanted bike' and watching his eyes glaze over as you witter on about retro's for far too long.

Never, ever wax eloquently about retro bikes in that situation. You're just there to pick up a slightly-better-than-BSO bike for your <insert relative's title here>. The one in front of you is acceptable (with a bit of work, of course), and you want it for as cheap as possible.

Spot on. There are no ethics involved looked at gem going dirt cheap to begin with, then knocking down the price even more with the above argument. Then when the deal is done spout on about how your 14 yr old teenager son likes long top 23" top tubes, can't be doing with riser bars, plastic finishes and will be really chuffed. Then say "isn't vulcanisation great" and pop the question if the seller can throw in the retro puncture repair kit and bike lights too as they won't be needed!

I once had a chap who said "I can't believe your wife would be interested in this old crap, and you haven't even ridden it to try the gears and brakes before you decided to buy it".

:LOL: [/i]

Latest posts

Back