TOP SWING DOWNPULL FRONT DERAILLEUR

vivelesalpes":l21vxpmn said:
My Merciers got that set up. It came with a Simplex front mech. If I get chance tomorrow I'll take some pictures of it as I've still got the cables and mech on the frame.

You could always drill a hole in the bottom bracket shell and rivet a cable guide on.

photos would be sterling work - give me a bit of an idea as to how it's all set up - also what's the rear mech arrangement on your mercier? i'd appreciate some ideas of components that i will need to source.

drilling - that's an option that had wandered through my head and went straight out - i'm guarenteed to stuff it up!!

Young Ned is correct, exactly what we used to do when the front mech did not have a stop for the cable outer, must have done hundreds.
Another case where the description is more difficult than the cure.

Blimey......a 70's chromed frame with the usual fudge of a bare cable for the rear mech and a bit of outer cable for the front :)

usually a sign of a classy frame for some obscure reason before they all went under the bottom bracket :)

Any more pics?

Shaun

yep, you've got me there - those pics have been shrunk and moved from one format into another just to get them onto the thread - total pain in the backside - and it obviously didnt work! apologies for that. alas, no other pictures as I havent officially bought this yet and those pics came attached to an email as 3MB each.

Plan is to purchase this week so once it's here i'll post some images and some specifications i've been given - then the fun really begins trying to find the components at a decent price - that's where you guys come in - advice on what to install - i've got a dura-ace AX 1st gen rear mech that I think should be the basis for the rest of the build if it fits...the rest is 100% up in the air...should be fun :LOL:

found one other picture...

first impressions / thoughts / ideas all welcomed.

Thanks

Attachments

• 70's chrome frame.JPG
    70's chrome frame.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 270
Hi

Here's some pictures of my Mercier's set-up. Being French, Simplex liked to be different, so instead have a piston type mechanism to move the derailleur across.

P1020585.jpg

P1020584.jpg

P1020583.jpg

vivelesalpes - tremendous, cheers for taking the time to do that - appreciated.

That's not something ive seen before - looks really simple! no pun intended. does the mech work well? nice and smooth? was this just a simplex innovation or did others do similar?

regarding the frame that i've now bought, some further info:
has a 68mm english thread BB,
95mm front forks with 5/16" drop-outs rather than 3/8" - 27" wheels.
standard 1" 24tpi steerer but uses a 30mm headset.
22.2 handlebar stem
25.4 seat post size.

cheers

No worries.

Yes it seemed nice and smooth from what I can remember when I had the bike built up. (It looks like it could do with some WD40 and grease on the piston now though).

I'm not sure if it's just a Simplex thing. It's certainly different for sure.

bit of research on velobase required - i'll see if i can suss out what the model is.

looks pretty obscure but at the same time pretty neat - let's face it front mech's are much of a muchness. I like it - something different to learn about.

cheers

Back