DIY Ice Shoes - winter vs myself 0:1

medoramas

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
On my commute to work (big part of it are country lanes) there is a long hill, which is constantly wet. If the temperature drops below 0, you can imagine how icy it is... I have only got one Marathon Winter tyre, on the front wheel, so the rear end has no chance to climb on ice. Last week I almost killed myself there, when I realized half way to the top that I would not make it due to the rear spinning... I quickly unclipped and jumped off the saddle, but my shoes had the same amount of grip as the rear tyre, so I began to slide down with the bike between my legs... Luckily I managed to stand still and after 10 seconds I was on the bottom of the hill again :shock:

They said yesterday it would be icy this morning, so I dug out an old pair of cannondale spd shoes, a box of short screws and an electric screw driver. 5 minuter later I had the winter cycling shoes ready :cool:
sole.jpg

Tested them this morning on that icy hill. I walked up to the top without any single slip :LOL:

I just need to remember to take them off before I enter the house - I put a laminate floor 2 months ago... :roll:

Seriously, you should have drilled from the other side.

a) if they push through you'll get screws in your feet.

b) they'll be better than crampons

Nah , he'll be right, he said they were short screws and ou can get screws as short as the tread blocks on his boots.

And nobody would be stupid enough to do that with screws too long.

Latest posts

Back