Brooks Competition saddle restoration.

I've also read good things of Ko Cao Line: a saddle is a saddle, whether it's for a horse or a bike.

Either way don't waste your money on Proofhide: it's no better or worse than other dubbin, but there is no magic ingredient, just some rampant brand profiteering.

Don't be tempted to slather whatever you use on: the only times I have read of leather saddles being ruined, it is either i) becoming soaking wet and not shaped as they dry, or ii) over use of dubbin. It helps with absorption if the saddle is in a warm environment: a thin application, completely rubbed in.

If you don't already know it, the Audaxer's rule of thumb is "once a day for a week, once week for a month, once a month for a year and once year for life".

I'd consider using saddle soap for the clean up before you apply the dubbin. There are some chemical rust removers, but they require soaking which may be difficult to work due to the danger of damage to the hide. Maybe just wet sand, then paint with an anti rust paint? I've seen some automotive rust inhibitors - you might want to apply that before the rust paint as an extra measure.

I have a saddle that I restored, Bristol swallow type. I used a kraft knife to remove dirt and rust from rails. Then aluminium foil + water for removing rest of the rust. After that I washed leather gently with saddle soap and redyed it with Fiebings black dye (it had awful marks, so I decided it will be better). I prepared mixture of lanolin, beeswax and cedar oil (I made my own rough interpretation of British museum leather dressing) and applied to leather. I had to fix a tear by the rivet in the middle of saddle, so I went to shoe repair shop for a few drops of glue and leather shoe sole for making a patch.

some photos:

main.php
main.php

And more photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1005210978 ... directlink

My Brooks Competition -the only item kept from my 1970s university bike - was in a similar state. Restored, it carried me very comfortably to John o' Groats, despite not really being 'saddle fit'.

After a bit or research the Ko-cao-line dressing is economically bought from this store.

http://www.equinecountrystore.co.uk/hor ... d_244.html

Phone them up on 0808 1331066 and you can the get the postage down to £1.70.

Re:

Give it a soak, not too long in warm water and clean with saddle soap a nail brush and tooth brush for the hard to get parts. Inside and out.
Then give it a good soak in olive oil, inside and out. Let it dry. Go over with dubbing and buff. Then I've used clear boot polish.
The rails and parts can clean up with a brass brush and chrome polish.

Simon

Back