Brooks Competition saddle restoration.

Postie John

Dirt Disciple
Hello all, I'm hoping you can help me.

Today I managed to salvage a circa '73 Raleigh Flyer, from a skip. (with the owners permission)

As much as I can tell it's still got original spec, including amazingly true wheels. Included in that is the aforementioned Brooks Competition saddle.

It's as you'd expect from a 40 year old Brooks that's been garaged for about 25 years.
If it wasn't for the fact it's original to the bike and a Brooks I'd probably be looking to replace it, But naturally I'd like to restore this one, if it's worth it or even possible.

All that leads to one simple question:-
How?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I've not tidied up one of these before.

I'll try an put up the photos I've taken, but at the moment they are too large.

Attachments

• Resto bike 021.jpg
    Resto bike 021.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,528

Attachments

• Resto bike 022.jpg
    Resto bike 022.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,526
  • Resto bike 023.jpg
    Resto bike 023.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,526
  • Resto bike 025.jpg
    Resto bike 025.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,526
Doesn't look to bad to me. Bung some Proofide on it. Maybe try some rust killer stuff on the rails then paint. Chuck the clamp away, they are only a few quid at the most or look in a shop bin.

Thanks.
Yes I certainly seem to have got lucky with this.

My concern is it's pretty grubby and grimy, and I don't want to in grain that when 'dubbing' it.

As said this is my first experience with Brooks, all previous restorations have been newer, so I don't want to make it worse while trying to make it better.

Is it one of these?
Flyer_rapide.jpg

Spokesmann":1ysukmcj said:
Is it one of these?
Flyer_rapide.jpg
Yeah the pink and yellow one.

I found that photo on here when searching Raleigh Flyer, just to see what, if anything, had been said about it.
I hope I don't get too attached during the restoration process, or else I might have to redo that photo.

T'is a sound bike, all bar the rear derailleur.
Assuming I can get the paint job for the money quoted in the summer, it should be back to it's former glory for less than £100.

Im doing an early 70's Claud Butler for a friend, I havent started but I would like to restore the saddle, and its in similar shape. Im guessing if its leather it will take some soap and water and a gentle scrub, followed by dubbing, applied multiple times buffed to polish. Any ideas on paint? maybe a smooth black hammerite? Why do they look so upset in the picture, looks like the typical what gear are you using before a race!

I have a mate who works as a saddler, he reckons this is the best stuff on any condition leather. Carr & Day & Martin Leather Dressing. Its what I use now on old saddles with good results and its fraction of the price of the poxy tin you'd get from Brooks! :)

Attachments

• 418LlBo+YML._SL500_.jpg
    418LlBo+YML._SL500_.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,352
Back