Pennine from the 1980s We Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cycle:Recycle

Devout Dirtbag
Happy Sunday :)

We have had a customer come in and ask for a buy it "as is" price on a Pennine we have at cycle:recycle. Sorry about the image quality of this
main.php

Having looked at the cycle it has some surface rust on top tube and more pitting on BB Shell underside which makes it hard to read the Frame Number. After spending some time I get the number as 80066 but unsure if this is correct.

There seems an odd match of components on the cycle:
105 front mech
Sora (I think) rear mech
Mavic Rims on Campag Hubs
3 TTT Quill Stem
Cinelli Bars
Campag Drop Outs

On the frame there is a sticker at the bottom of the down-tube that reads "painted by Ellis Briggs"

After looking at some other images of Pennine's on the web and the lug work I think the cycle is early 80's

It seems Pennine's are quite sought after and for this one to get back to a good looking spec would require a paint job and new decals.

What we'd like is any advice on a BIN price if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in Advance :)

Difficult to put a value on that from the pic. you provide. Something about that frame suggests to me that it may be older than 1980 but I cannot put my finger on it... maybe that elegant fork-rake just makes it look older. Are the chainstays indented?

You could try taking a 'rubbing' of the frame number, which often reveals undecipherable digits. Also check the steerer tube for a number there. Hopefully the same number!

The Campag./TTT/Cinelli may be original equipment to the frame and dateable/valuable. Again difficult to tell from the pic. Also the headset/bb/rear hub spacing may offer clues. Frame looks like 531db.. measure the seat post diameter.

I'm rubbish at valuations, but I don't like to see posts unanswered! Ethically IMO if the bike was donated to a recycling project it behoves you to pass it on in the same spirit... to somebody that digs it for what it is rather than for it's resale value... covering your costs of course. That is your business though, not mine.. OTOH If everything is in sound condition I reckon you could get £100, maybe more, with a clear conscience?

Very late 70's and early eighties maybe?

The rear brake cable runs along the top tube in guides which started very early 80's for a lot of frames........cable guides over the BB (I think) which started to be replaced by under BB guides very late 70's early eighties..

Shaun

If it was mint I'd say £350/£400. If it needs a respray, decals, period derailleurs, tyres, chain and cables I'd say £80/£100.

Thinking about this a bit more, It is unlikely (though not impossible) that the person who wants to buy it has his/her heart set on this frame with this particular eclectic mix of componentry.. Chances are it is the frame they are after mainly? If you can sound them out on this, you may be able to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement whereby they get what they want, at a fair price, and you get to replenish your parts bin with what's left over.

My earlier post may have implied that this bike should not be 'parted out'. Dismantling is more work for you of course... which the buyer is saving you by buying 'as is'... a tricky one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back