Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

We won't argue but i suspect your paintwork is better than mine. Did your Dad use the bike often?

I am ordering decals etc and i want my wheels rebuilt - this will have to wait until after Christmas - so you really have already won although i have wheels to put on the bike so the race will be to have a running bike and not an OE one.

Back to my family .....

It's not a race at all, it's about the love right?

Dad used it a lot back in the mid 80's as his commute from our house to Aldermaston station. Thank goodness no-one nicked it or damaged it, because I'd never have that confidence to leave it outside for that length of time. (I have heart attacks leaving my steeds outside locked up for 10 minutes!)

Of course it was also used at weekends. I have fond memories of him taking the lead whilst me and my brother peddled behind on our machines (Raleigh Mustang - 2nd / 3rd hand - no BMX's!) trying to keep up. As we got older and more confident we'd over-take but be told to get behind soon enough. Happy days on country lanes.

The paintwork shows up well in the pictures but as you'll see in next weeks close up shots it's not perfect. The top tube has the worst of it with minor scratches that have since rusted a little. They've cleaned up well but they are very noticeable close up. It's still in remarkable condition for the age and there are no dings, let alone dents. Even the wheels are pretty true.

Even though it's lived in a shed these last 10 years or so, it was and still is loved - this is just it's mid-life cosmetic spruce up - we all need it now and then ;)

Ok who's gonna tell him!?

P1150381.jpg

So I was meant to be in Budapest this weekend but thanks to the 3rd world infrastructure the airport was closed :evil: The upside was that I was able to "finish" the project.

Things still to do:

One final wipe / polish
Adjust the bars
Tyres, logo's...you know the drill :LOL:
Take some proper pictures

dsc0221bi.jpg

The LBS really liked this. I've had some good reactions when my Kona's have been in store, but this got a load more admiring glances and reactions. When I told them it had spiders and mites living in it, they didn't believe me.

Without question this has been my favourite restoration and trying to be objective, it's come up better than the others as well.

That looks great, you should be proud of yourself for all the hard work you've put in. As someone said before, I'd love to see the look on your dad's face when he sees it!

Also, I fully believe you about the spiders and mites, I found 3 in the tubes of my bike when I took it apart a few months ago, although I think that's because my bike gets locked up outside under a tree at night. Luckily I got rid of them before my girlfriend spotted them :LOL:

YOU WIN!!!

Bike looks great al-onestare, as my daughter would say AWESOME!!

Did you rebuild the wheels? I was looking at your pics and the spokes are in great condition compared to mine.

I hope to get mine finished by the end of this week, and you have given me the impetus to get a move on and 'git 'er done!'

Your Dad will be pleased and i expect that is an undertstatement.

Richard

TGR":3944rvpp said:
Did you rebuild the wheels? I was looking at your pics and the spokes are in great condition compared to mine.

Thankfully no. I just needed to tighten 2 spokes very slightly but overall they were in good condition. If I had a dremmel or some sort of small hand held sanding / buffing machine then they could do with some more TLC but they are more than good enough as is.

nathanm26":3944rvpp said:
What size is the frame?

Excellent question - I'll measure up tonight. It's a good job it's too small for me otherwise he'd be getting a pair of socks ;)

Thank you for all the kind comments :D

Back