anyone else been robbed by homebrewed components?

as i thought andy. it seems the robbery has mostly been this year and on most of threads there are people who paid a long time before i did. its a shame as you say the quality cant be faulted. good engineer. bloody awful person. just completely ignores emails and has since june when the last time any one heard from him when he was trying to make it right. too late for comeback from paypal as his stated lead time is over the pp coverage period. i did email paypal to say how can they let a person who is ripping people off use their site to make money but they didnt reply as they are making money so no bother to them. a quick google of home brewed brings up mostly threads with 90% unhappy and 10% happy results as mentioned. hell of a shame as since boone stopped making them HB`s were the best out there.

Even if the chap is so darned busy, he could update folks via his website.

Sounds like the police may get involved if they are not already.

Are they still taking orders?

yep he is still taking money off people. he should have put a hold on orders until he cleared the backlog but no. essentially still stealing money from people.

Weirdly I had 3 separate orders off him and no problems. It was over a year ago, so looks like I missed the problems luckily.

My two pen'orth on this, for what it's worth.....

The general concensus, if you read the mtbr thread, is that he's a complete cock, a blatant thief and, if some people had their way, he'd have been strung up long ago and his workshop torched as a lesson "pour les autres".

I prefer to believe that he's a talented machinist who makes some very nice components but has got in way over his head and has totally failed to keep up with both his orders and with relaying order status to his waiting customers.
The trouble with situations like this (in life in general) is that no matter how much you keep trying and hoping that you can get back on top of things, sometimes you find yourself inexorably sinking a little bit every day until there seems like no way out. I have known personally people who have taken their own lives in similar situations, as presumably they could see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, if I lived just down the road I'd actually be quite inclined to pop round and see if there was anything that I could do to lend a hand, be it packing, emailing, whatever. Don't get the impression that I'm one of these do-gooder type guys, by the way, because I'm not. I'm probably a bit of a miserable shit a lot of the time - I do however, for one reason or another, seem to have some understanding of human frailty and imperfection, if for no other reason than than I'm probably those traits personified.
It's the difference between sympathy and empathy, I suppose, and I've rambled on long enough.

yeah, sorry guys, this wasn't meant to be a total dig at anyone in particular :oops: .

but as Andy has pointed out, whilst the goods he offers appear to be top quality, the service appears to be appalling.

i'm not, nor plan to be a customer of his, but have been following the thread on and off for over a while now and it simply seem s to have no end.

iit just surprises me now to see the guy still taking new orders and more so people still making them and being shocked when they don't arrive in time.

When I placed my orders I always knew that it wouldn't just be like normal mail order - after all, it is basically custom stuff, so you have to be prepared to wait. Not for ever, but a month or two seemed fair enough to me.

Since then he seems to have become a victim of his own success, as his order backlog apparently just keeps growing. Of course, we only hear the whinging from the people who haven't received their orders and nothing from those who have, to redress the balance.
Presumably they just keep quiet about it.

However I refuse to believe, as some would have it, that he is simply taking the money and has no intention of ever supplying the goods. Unless, of course, producing some nice components for a few people (just me and Kaiser, maybe?) who would then recommend his services to others was just a clever scam.....

I'm almost tempted to place another order just to see how long it actually takes - I think that a 28T M'burn Uno sprocket was only about $35 anyway, so hardly a disaster if it never appears.

hi andy. i am aware and was fully prepared not to get the ring in four weeks as being an engineer myself am fully aware how long one off pieces can take. over NINE! months is hardly whinging and $139 for a ti` ring is lot of money to me. i emailed him first off after 4 months of nothing saying almost the same as you have just about being a victim of his own success and got a nice reply so i kept waiting. that was june.

go right ahead and order a ti ring for $139 and we will see how impressed you are over nine months later. in fact you can buy my order off me at a reduced price. how would that be? i would take $35 and i have already done 9 months of the waiting for you. do we have a deal? ad

Back