Helmet damage

if ye wake up in hospital with a broken helmet it has done its job

ok ye might look like a twat until that day arrives but when it does you will be glad

if you wake up in hospital with a broken helmet it has done its job

ok ye might look like a twat until that day arrives but when it does you will be glad

A helmet is there to slow down and dissipate the energy of an impact to your head.
It should do this in as predictable/uniform manner or , how a manufacturer decides what is best is up to them (design deformation materials etc) but if its certified it has to go through the relevant tests (SNELL, ANSI etc).

Obviously the bigger the impact the greater the damage - which may or may not be visible
I had a spill last year when i had a meeting with a car and my old Giro looked fine, yet a lows peed fall offroad in May left a huge crack in the front of it's replacement.
Both did their job IMHO.

There are to many variables involved in predicting should or should it no have split, Speed of impact, rider weight, angle of impact etc. possibly met design them too fail in a specific way like crumple zones on a car that fail in a predetermined way for a given force.

I wear my helmet most of the time. I always wear it off road (what makes me think its safer on the road I don't know). But I agree with the wearing helmet will help save your life. But then there are people (Tandem Jeremy on STW for one) who say that there is more of a risk of being seriously injured if the helemt catches the ground and can damage your neck through rotational forces. IMO i'd rather get a sore neck than brain damage. But each to their own I guess.

bigmick":mbsksb40 said:
if you wake up in hospital with a broken helmet it has done its job

Sounds like you might be needing to wear some other sort of protective device.

Logic.Al":3jxncfqg said:
I wear my helmet most of the time. I always wear it off road (what makes me think its safer on the road I don't know). But I agree with the wearing helmet will help save your life. But then there are people (Tandem Jeremy on STW for one) who say that there is more of a risk of being seriously injured if the helemt catches the ground and can damage your neck through rotational forces. IMO i'd rather get a sore neck than brain damage. But each to their own I guess.

I hate that argument.

Got hit by a van in May, helmet was destroyed and I was knocked out cold. I'd dread to think how badly my eggs would have been scrambled without the helmet. No neck pain either.

I digress anyway, the helmet was a Met, didnt crack but definitely had signs of a big smash.

Back