Unidentified Tange Prestige Frame - Help Needed

FluffyChicken":3lbcfqgk said:
Rod_Saetan":3lbcfqgk said:
it's definitely a Ritchey.

Which one ?

This one:

screenhunter_05_dec_09_0805_583.jpg

I have no proof it is a tange Prestige frame that is just what the Ebay add said :? He also stated the frame weghs 2350 gramms but I have not had a chance to weigh it yet.
The welds are all very nice and the seat clamp is also nice.
I have checked the Ritchey catalogues for 94/95 and nothing similar to this and the serial number looks nothing like a ritchey serial number according to the internet.
The serial number on this frame is :
Serrial Number : BN9412970

Does anyone reconize the serial number?

Cheers

Rod_Saetan":13e2f9g3 said:
it's definitely a Ritchey.

No you are wrong, it's 100% a Zaskar.

On a serious note it could be anything - Handsome Dog / Merlin (Preston) and loads of other people imported similar frames.

This has nice detail like the rear canti noodle, cable bosses on the head tube to avoid rub, nicely detailed seatclamp and those Ritchey dropouts so having gone to that effort its likely decent tubing.

Its nice and light so build it and enjoy it!

I had a similar situation, bought an unidentified steel frame, but was the right size and made from Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong, which is a nice, high end tube set, it was also fairly light at 2235g.

I built it up and liked how it rode so to a large extent I've stopped worrying about what it is. :D

The Ritchey dropouts don't mean it's a Ritchey made frame, but it looks to be a fairly nice frame, I don't think it's anything exotic or extra special, but worth building up and trying out.

Woodyuk":1zln5161 said:
I have no proof it is a tange Prestige frame that is just what the Ebay add said :? He also stated the frame weghs 2350 gramms but I have not had a chance to weigh it yet.
The welds are all very nice and the seat clamp is also nice.
I have checked the Ritchey catalogues for 94/95 and nothing similar to this and the serial number looks nothing like a ritchey serial number according to the internet.
The serial number on this frame is :
Serrial Number : BN9412970
Does anyone reconize the serial number?
Cheers
It certainly isn't a Ritchey, but there are several signs that it's a decent quality frame, such as the ring-reinforced head tube, the reinforced seat collar and the cable guide - and I suppose the fact that somebody thought it worthy of fitting an XT front mech.

I can't see anything either way to back up or deny the suggestion that it is made of Tange Prestige, but the weight of 2.3kg tends to suggest not, as it's quite high for a medium size heat-treated frame.

The serial number is in a Taiwan format and I would agree it suggests a build date of January 1994, but I don't know which builder is/was BN.

The guy I bought it off says he thinks it was an ETTO frame ?
I have had a look on the Internet and ETTO did make Tange Prestige frames around 1994/95 but cant see anything similar to this one?
Well it will be built and riden and see how it rides

Cheers
for all the help

Woodyuk":39qn8s5y said:
He also stated the frame weghs 2350 gramms but I have not had a chance to weigh it yet.

As mentioned that weight isnt too impressive unless its Frame + Forks may a weighing session will narrow it down?

Latest posts

Back