Cantis or disc on a new frame?

Given the choice of brakes on my new hardtail, I'd rather...

• ...it was canti only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...it had both canti and disc mounts

• ...it was disc only

• Total voters

detomaso

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My '94 Mojo went back to Ibis at some point in it's lifetime to have a disc tab and hose guides added to the rear - it still has the 'handjob' and I currently run cantis as an empty 'handjob' wouldn't be right IMO.

If you were having a custom hard tail MTB frame made for yourself today would you consider the same i.e having the option of both type of brake mounts? Or are you firmly in one camp?

i absolutely agree with the canti hanger thing, meaning if it's there you must use it, i.e no v brakes.

also when both canti bosses and cable hanger and disc mount are all in place on the frame i think it looks better to have an unused disc mount than an unused canti boss/hanger.

with a brand new frame i think you should pick the brake design you want and stick with it. so then the decision is more about the riding to be done on this bike, general XC then v brakes etc will be fine as you know, but for a modern new hardtail i think discs look neater, so i'd go with discs.

:)

edit, if you're building a new but retro-styled bike i'd go for V brake only, this gives an older look but still has the option for reasonably powerful brakes.

why would you want to go back to v-brakes?

I have sawn off the v-brake bosses on my Bianchi MTB and Rockshox SID forks.

Why, when designing a brand new custom frame, would you choose to hinder it by fitting rim brakes?

I trawled for a while before snagging the steel frame I was looking for, I was happy to go with the last year they had rim brake posts on with the dick mounts.

Just adds versatility to me.

I may well do some touring on it, or just being able to swap around to non dick forks when servicing forks, etc.

For a tiny amount of extra weight.

If I was speccing a custom build the same logic would apply.

Interesting responses...

I didn't think that the poll would draw 100% for discs only (at the mo') - surprised actually. I'm a long time lover of cantis and have only been using discs for the past 3 years - I'm not wearing rose tinted specs, I enjoy their adjustability and simplicity. Disc do give greater confidence but I wouldn't have said that rim brakes hinder a frame.

Back