Back in Business and with twice the work to do!

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I moved recently and business all but stopped. Well we're pretty much settled in now, although my workshop still has a lot to be desired, so it's time to get back to work on the bikes. I don't normally document rebuilds but thought it maybe of interest if I started doing so for some of the bigger projects.

So for my first project in my new house I have these two sorry looking Gazelle Champion Mondials.

SAM_1971.jpg

SAM_1981-1.jpg

SAM_1974-1.jpg

With their big fat tyres and saddles, straight bars and adjustable stems, locks and chainguards they are a sorry sight. I just had to have them to save them from their sorry existence and get them back to the thorough bred classic racing bikes they once were. So after handing over far too much money they were mine and the rescue can now commence.

Luckily under the dirt and grime there are two quality 531c framesets in pretty good condition, most of the Shimano 600ex groupset is there and I have been busy collecting up the remainder. So first things first they have both got to be stripped, cleaned and assessed....

SAM_1979.jpg

SAM_1977.jpg

SAM_1975.jpg

SAM_1982.jpg

More pictures here http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55 ... 0Gazelles/

Holy moly, who decided that it was a good idea to bastardise those frames to end up like those two sorry examples?

Good work Tel in saving them from such an ignominious life!

At least you have a blank canvas with those two, frames look decent and with a bit of imagination and some man-hours they will be back where they should be - on the road.

look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours...

They obviously thought that adding an aero TT chainset would make up for the not-so-aero riding position :LOL:

Thank you fella's :D

Stripped off the junk:

SAM_2069.jpg

Just the fat tyres remain.

First impressions of the good stuff are rather dirty but pretty good condition, the chainguard did a good job of keeping the crankset in good condition!

Frames are dirty and have a few chips here and there (that rear frame lock did the paint no favours). Will have to see how they clean up.

SAM_2068.jpg

SAM_2063.jpg

SAM_2062.jpg

SAM_2061.jpg

SAM_2060.jpg

SAM_2067.jpg

the pump in the junk pile looks very like an aluminium SKS (I think, might be another make) "HP" pump. They're actually very very good pumps, easy to get tyres to a high pressure, and much more effective at whacking dogs than the flimsy plastic ones!

You are correct my eagle eyed friend. None of that junk will go to waste don't you worry. I'm sure that even the chain guards will find a new home. Polo anyone?

Was supposed to tackle these over Xmas but I had a surprisingly busy holiday period. This weekend will see a major workshop sort out then it's full steam ahead with this pair.

Back