Andy Hampstens 1988 Huffy

rusty bodie":2p19bfxq said:
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE REAL HEROES??!

:x

Jurgen Van Den Broeck tried to get back on his bike and continue after breaking several ribs and a shoulder in the 2011 TdF, and then came back to place 8th in the Vuelta the same year. I'd say that's pretty hardcore.

hard men

Yeah, I agree, theres still some hard men about, Johnny Hoogerland being one that springs to mind among a few.
Jamie

Johnsqual":3b3458u9 said:
rusty bodie":3b3458u9 said:
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE REAL HEROES??!

:x

Jurgen Van Den Broeck tried to get back on his bike and continue after breaking several ribs and a shoulder in the 2011 TdF, and then came back to place 8th in the Vuelta the same year. I'd say that's pretty hardcore.

sorry but that's not even CLOSE hinault's heroism!!

your man broke some bones and TRIED to get back on his bike and then came back MONTHS LATER to RIDE another race?!! my sister could do that!!!

please see the above photos of the french man with the broken FACE who WALKED TO THE FINISH LINE after crashing in a bunch sprint, got BACK ON HIS BIKE the following morning and went on to WIN the 1985 tour de france!!

oh and he and then went on to clobber EVERYONE in sight until his retirement a year later!! (well, greg was a bit of a fly in the ointment, i guess lol)

:cool:

Sorry but you're talking b*ll*cks.

I was not making any direct comparison between Hinault's and VdB's injuries,
I was just pointing out that it's simply wrong to claim that all contemporary cyclists are a load of pampered lightweights akin to Premier league footballers.

Hinault's just Hinault. He even pushed someone off the stage at the prize presentation at this years Tour in Paris.

I think that today's cyclists are still a tough bunch - take Wiggo riding the 2011 Vuelta or some of the injuries that some of the cyclists get on stage races which would have many football players on the floor rolling round and out of action for a couple of months.

In the old days before the UCI made stages shorter (allegedly to reduce drug use) the stages just seemed that bit tougher - saying that I wouldn't fancy tackling two climbs of Alpe d'Huez like in next years Tour.

Re: Phil

Jamiedyer":1xw3rxe9 said:
Thats Phil alright but I dont think he's the ref :LOL: Check out his expression, he looks well pissed off. Maybe he's about to 'express' his displeasure like captain Hinault.
No political correctness, sponsor poo sucking bullshit there!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think the Badger's one of the only people to make Phil Anderson look effeminate the way he is giving the spectator a girlie bitch slap compared to Hinault's full on assault.

Johnsqual":207c8vna said:
Sorry but you're talking b*ll*cks.

I was not making any direct comparison between Hinault's and VdB's injuries,
I was just pointing out that it's simply wrong to claim that all contemporary cyclists are a load of pampered lightweights akin to Premier league footballers.

i couldn't compare them to footballers as i know nothing on that subject whatsoever, i'm delighted to say. therefore i did not compare them to such individuals. i am talking about cycling THEN and cycling NOW!!

warriors of yesteryear vs wet ends of today!

end of.

:roll:

"In the old days before the UCI made stages shorter (allegedly to reduce drug use).."

floyd_landis_flowers_1.jpg

Tyler-Hamilton-008.jpg

georgehincapie.jpg

yes, that plan REALLY worked, didn't it?!

:LOL:

rusty bodie":16bc0jbk said:
Johnsqual":16bc0jbk said:
warriors of yesteryear vs wet ends of today!

end of.

:roll:

Hoogerland crashed through a barbed wire fence and
came out looking like he'd been attacked by a pissed off lioness. He went on to complete the TdF. It's blatant nonsense to describe someone like that as a 'wet end'.

VdB broke several ribs, a shoulder and had a collapsed lung.

As several others have also pointed out, there's plenty of hard man antics to be seen in today's cycling.

End of? My @rse...

Back