GT XCR idrive thread - owners bikes and tech support

goin to be selling a mint white team xcr 1000 in the next week or so

can come with disc rear end (will need stripping and painting )

or front triangle only

pics if needed

tony

Considering an i-drive at the moment; couple of questions: what's worth looking out for? Anything common that fails that's hideous to replace? Secondly, how do you size this frame? I'm looking, I guess, for a small or medium (my Zaskar is a 16" - inside leg is 30"). Any guidance as to what size I'd need and the best way to measure it?

Anything useful - cheers :)

Found out the sizing info. Posting it here in case it's of use to anyone :)

Source: http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/original-i-drive-riders-still-out-there-680510-9.html

They said the frame measurements for the XCR bikes (or your i-drive team) was not based on the seat tube length since it does not have a continuous seat tube. They said they use the top tube length to create a sizing chart for the rider. So they have made a cross-reference chart to help.

Quoted directly from the manual :

Traditional frame size
Relative i-Drive frame size
i-Drive effective TT length

14.5 or 16"
Small
21.5"

17, 18"
Medium
22.7"

18, 19"
Large
23.4"

20, 22"
X-Large
24.3"

Be wary of frames around 2001 as they were prone to cracking around the seat post clamp area and shock mounts. Not sure why but I had a 2001 idrive and zaskar crack around the seat post clamp and have heard of many doing so.

GWDesigns":wfcxrjp4 said:
Be wary of frames around 2001 as they were prone to cracking around the seat post clamp area and shock mounts. Not sure why but I had a 2001 idrive and zaskar crack around the seat post clamp and have heard of many doing so.

Thanks for the heads up.

Same deal for
- XCR / i-drive from 99-02

petitpal":1vfd99jz said:
Secondly, how do you size this frame? I'm looking, I guess, for a small or medium (my Zaskar is a 16" - inside leg is 30"). Any guidance as to what size I'd need and the best way to measure it?

There's usually a sticker on the frame or a size near the serial number.

Back