Diamond Back Axis

Axis":1pc0xq5b said:
WOW, thank you so much, Neil, for your fantastic info! :shock: It is great to read about all the details!

I have looked at the brochure page in your profile. Above I have attached the complete 1991 brochure - unfortunately it is in German... :cry:

The brochure says that the bike has XT equipment, but the pedals are Deore DX!?

I have also taken a closer look at the rest:

Both wheels are Avenir Duro 17. On the back hub I can read Deore and 14G. The front hub looks the same, but I cannot read anything.

The brakes (at the handlebar) are Dia Compe. At the tires I can just read Shimano, on the "brake rubber" it says Deore XT. The brakes seem to work very well - saved my life yesterday!

On the crankset I can only read Shimano SG. And the standard 24, 36 and 46.

The seat post is Avenir 4130 - just like the brochure says it should be. :)

The saddle is Selle Royal (Royal Vacuum Light). Seems like a nice one.

Both derailleurs are Deore XT.

The gear shifters are Deore XT. There is also the option of SIS - F. What is this for?!
I suspect that's so you can run the shifters just in friction mode - no indexing.
Axis":1pc0xq5b said:
My only problem so far with the bike has been the gear shifting. The shifter on the left (3x) is hard to move - I need to use quite some force to do so. Sometimes the chain even falls of! I am still trying to figure out exactly why and when this happens. With some gears there is sometimes a strange noice - like if the bike has not hit the exact gear. Sometimes it goes away, if I adjust the shifters a little. Oh, and the lowest gear (x3) does not seem to work/ the chain makes loud noices.

I asked the bike dealer to do the gears for me and this is the result... :x Maybe the only thing to do, is to do it myself, but I do not have a clue what to do... I would be very happy for any advice!
As to the gear stuff, well your options are do a bit of reading / searching here, and on Sheldon Brown's website (or the Park tools website), or try and get a bike shop to do it.

I favour learning, then it's a skill you've permanently acquired.

I, too, have a sweet '91 Axis. I really like the ride of the True Temper frame--I find it more compares favorably to any of my '90-'92 Tange Prestige frames (GT, Bridgestone, Haro).

I'm not sure what it is about them, but all my old diamondbacks seem to climb better than my other rigs, although the stopwatch says that I'm faster on my GTs.

spare parts?

Hi,
I am in need of a deraillier hanger for my diamondback axis. not sure what year it is - has telescopic front forks, cable disc brakes, mid blue with white.

My local bike shop is unsure where to get parts for this bike - any suggestions or has anyone got a spare of this particular part? btw I am in Oz but happy to get part shipped from anywhere.

thanks,

Dan

how did I miss this thread? Nice bike Axis. Got a few DBs myself. Good purchase too looking at the ebay price.

Dan, start your own thread, but I suspect it is a more modern version, as none of mine have removable dropouts. If it has disc brakes, start your thread in the 98+ forum.

After a hiatus from cycling I now find my Diamond Back Axis is now a retro bike!

I bought a 92 model in 1993 [real dark green colour] with Deore XT groupset. Was £1200 but was half price so I snapped it up. Used it solid for 10 years and then not so much. I changed the saddle to a Turbo Variomatic. Still rides perfect. I have kept it well maintained over the years with a wash and lube. It was the same frame as the top of the range KHS bike at the time. I think at the time the KHS was the lightest production MTB going. THat's waht made me buy it.

r0bp":3a4l7psz said:
After a hiatus from cycling I now find my Diamond Back Axis is now a retro bike!

I bought a 92 model in 1993 [real dark green colour] with Deore XT groupset. Was £1200 but was half price so I snapped it up. Used it solid for 10 years and then not so much. I changed the saddle to a Turbo Variomatic. Still rides perfect. I have kept it well maintained over the years with a wash and lube. It was the same frame as the top of the range KHS bike at the time. I think at the time the KHS was the lightest production MTB going. THat's waht made me buy it.

Welcome - and your Axis sounds like a 93 model, this is the 92 model (I have one, plus a 91 Axis):-

I think this is the 93 Axis:-

(snarfed from a current ebay auction)

Anyway - welcome, and post pics.

Attachments

• 92_Axis_brochure_pic.jpg
    92_Axis_brochure_pic.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 93_Axis.JPG
    93_Axis.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 252
Back