Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

Middleburn

Yes, they should have some 5.6mm spacers in there, 5 to 7 would be ok though.
Non lo pro cranks need a longish BB ,so that should be ok, so guess it's the lack of spacers?

matt24777":2fpwvg2x said:
5.6mm Seems very large! :shock:

Any spacers on any of the other rings?

No spacers on the others, only the granny, if it has a flat spider? Cooks use 8mm Ritchey 5 mm

To avoid any confusion, I think it's one of these:

main.php

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...2_GALLERYSID=d009311af9df2e48cc31595de95b59df

Page 6 of the middleburn catalogue, RS3 cranks

No spacers mentioned anywhere?

Cranks

Can't open the link, The spider is more like an RS1/2 type? Yet Cranks are Low pro style so should need a 113 BB axle, usually that style crank has the splined centre with thread on lock nut.
When the Granny is on, how close is it to the middle then?

if the link doesn't work try looking in the manufacturers archive on here. It's defiantly RS3 with the RS3 spider. I'll measure the rings again tomorrow.

right been a while getting round to measuring up so dims are as follows:

All Dims are to centre of teeth

Outer ring to middle ring =7.18mm

Middle ring to granny ring = 6.72mm

chain line centre of seat tube to middle ring = 50.5mm

Now the above dims don't tell the whole story....

the distance from the centre line of the teeth on the granny ring to the inside face of the middle ring is 3.1mm whereas the distance from the centre line of the teeth on the middle ring to the inside face of the big ring is 5.4mm this is a considerable difference of 2.3mm!

this photo may explain better what I'm banging on about...

main.php

to me it looks like by the time the chain has cleared the inside face of the middle ring it's too far over the granny ring, and therefore overshoots!

Anyone else had this problem? got any solutions?

Gaps

That spacing is way too narrow between all rings, it's the ringset, that's the problem, without a doubt.
I've had the same with Middleburn, Why they have machined the teeth right over to the outer side remains a mystery. TA (who probably create the best rings you can buy,) are all plum centred and not silly thick. No wonder the chain is missing the granny ring!
Are they ramped and pinned slickshift, or plain?
I think the clearance on the older RS-3 sets was wrong for the more modern cut rings and non- compatable.

...to pitch in late to the party, from the photo it seems the granny is way too close to the spider - I had an RS2 and I'm trying to remember if it had spacers between the granny and the spider... Certainly from the photo it looks odd, albeit it is an RS3 and is a bit more machined than the RS2 - maybe experiment with different washers/spacers between to get them up to the same as the inner and outer. I really don't think the way the rings are machined will be causing the problem - start with the obvious and work out from there.

They are pinned and ramped slickshift rings. I tried some 1.2mm washers and these seemed to make it better.

Going from the granny to the middle was a little hesitant and needed a slight over-shift (the indexing is now quite a bit off) but at least I don't loose the chain going down. :?

Back