What do you do

Head South on the Wolds way and come and see us at the other end (how far along it are you I assume Rydale, being N. Yorks... so Malton and above...?) Plenty around there to do.

NeilM":z7mvo1zp said:
You've got a bike and you've got the Wolds Way.....

When I got back into cycling, after a long break, even though I was riding horses and training in Martial Arts, I was advised by a very experienced competition cyclist to take short rides 'like a grandad'. In other words, slow and gentle.

Within a week of riding every other day, I could feel my strength and cardio fitness improving, and I was enjoying myself.

If you are going to explore the Wolds Way, then take some food and drink, and just ride out gently, pushing yourself a little, but not hard (as you still have to get back). Take a break from time to time, just a couple of minutes to take a sip of drink and catch your breath, and press on.

If you can work out a circular route then great, otherwise ride out a couple of miles and then back. If that is too easy, then go a bit further the next time. If you can work a couple of taxing climbs into the route, that will be great for cardio as well as strength.

You can ride every day, but you are probably better riding every other or even every third day if you are finding it hard. The body needs to be jump started into work and recovery mode.

I finish work for Christmas next Friday, regardless of the weather, I am determined to get some miles in (both on my horse and bikes) that I missed in the summer when I hurt my shoulder.

Have fun.

Sound advice, I shall take an easy ride on the Wolds Way.

FluffyChicken":z7mvo1zp said:
Head South on the Wolds way and come and see us at the other end (how far along it are you I assume Rydale, being N. Yorks... so Malton and above...?) Plenty around there to do.

I'm about 7 miles from Malton on the A64 towards Scarborough, the Wolds Way is about five steps from my back garden.

Alison

Isaac_AG":3f1yvinp said:
FluffyChicken":3f1yvinp said:

I'm about 7 miles from Malton on the A64 towards Scarborough, the Wolds Way is about five steps from my back garden.

Alison
Never been riding around there but
A few other Bridleways you could link up around there, and some woods around Knapton (two either side of the camp site)
or go down the centenary way parts of it and see if you can get to Hovingham

or head to the coast :D

or pick some of the roads/bridleways due north to Allerston/Saniton 6 to 7mile and head into Dalby land

If you're lost for things to do on the 28th December
then pop along to the Pudding Run in Dalby.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=
:D

FluffyChicken":5pz1l2gr said:
Isaac_AG":5pz1l2gr said:
FluffyChicken":5pz1l2gr said:

Alison
Never been riding around there but
A few other Bridleways you could link up around there, and some woods around Knapton (two either side of the camp site)
or go down the centenary way parts of it and see if you can get to Hovingham

or head to the coast :D

or pick some of the roads/bridleways due north to Allerston/Saniton 6 to 7mile and head into Dalby land

If you're lost for things to do on the 28th December
then pop along to the Pudding Run in Dalby.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=
:D

I'm just getting back on the bike so need easy rides so riding to the coast is a bit too far. I will go for a ride on the Wolds Way and feel a bit of the excitement I used to :D

Alison

Back