Raleigh Dynatech MT4

That's a nice MT4 you have there. Great build and i love the Pace forks.

Always fancied on one those or the Quantum.

Re: MT4

Wold Ranger":2zc79emh said:
ibbz":2zc79emh said:
Wold Ranger":2zc79emh said:
Wow, those forks really transform that lovely frame. almost wish I'd kept them now!
Not sure on those new fangle pointy brake arm things above each wheel though ;) poor canti hanger is feeling unloved on the rear stays :(

Your forks are superb! Thanks!
So you reckon canti's instead of the Avid V's?

All the way! I always think Vees' look really awful on a bike of the early period with Canti hanger. A nice set of Canti's will work just as well as Vee's and often lighter. Even if you opt for modern Canti's. A nice Black set of lightweight Canti's would look the Mutt's. Avid levers with the speed dial adjustment work ok with Canti's also, as you can dial the throw back.

Mmmm So the bike looks crap? Mmmm :LOL: !
I liked the Avids as I like the levers - they're black with Red blobs - matches the red bits on the pedals, the red brake pads and the odd red bolt - all coordinated! :) But you're right about the V's being a bit out of place, others may beg to differ.
I also like the power of the Avid V SD 7's here, and the fact that the calipers are black!

So here's the questions, Which Cantilever Brakes should I replace the Avid V's with?
Any modern type? Any type which would be black in colour and suit the bike? And obviously they'd have to be easy to set up and maintain and have the performance at least approaching those of the V's. Brakes are very important to me - the reason why I chose these primarily - good reliable braking = safety.

How are the Shorty Avid's like? Or are they geared towards Cyclocross? And are such modern Cati's unsuitable?

Any ideas? Anyone? Or pictures? Examples?

Giom6":y5318xi1 said:

The Ogre is also a nice one! As I believe it's a sort of MT4 ish frame?

I've just sold a set of Machinetech batwings and they were as good as V's The Avids are good as are the Trp brakes, but ordinary Black Lx are pretty good when set up well.

Been convinced into keeping the Avid SD 7 V's.
Just need to re-route the cables and shorten the front brake cable and need a noodle with greater bend.

ibbz":295xc0sh said:
Giom6":295xc0sh said:

Right ibbz,

The Ogre and the Ogre XT are based on the MT4 frameset including the Dynamax Mn-Mo fork. The other models (Solaris with Rock Shox Mag 30 suspension fork, Quantum with Rock Shox Mag 20 suspension fork, Diablo and Diablo DX are based on the MT 3 frameset with the spinner Cro-Mo fork and the Cro-Mo rear triangle.

Best regards and a happy New Year

Dynatechrider

The diablo's etc used the MT3 frame with the steel rear end, only the Ogre and Ogre XT used the MT4 frame. That was certainly the case for the 92 range and the reason I spent more than I could really afford buying an Ogre BITD :)

Dynatechrider":7tt85xh4 said:
ibbz":7tt85xh4 said:
Giom6":7tt85xh4 said:

Right ibbz,

The Ogre and the Ogre XT are based on the MT4 frameset including the Dynamax Mn-Mo fork. The other models (Solaris with Rock Shox Mag 30 suspension fork, Quantum with Rock Shox Mag 20 suspension fork, Diablo and Diablo DX are based on the MT 4 framesetwith the spinner Cro-Mo fork and the Cro-Mo rear triangle.

Dynatechrider

ibbz":vfe918j9 said:
Just need to re-route the cables and shorten the front brake cable and need a noodle with greater bend.

#Original spec would have been M735 Canti's, would look much nicer than the Vee's, or any black canti's come to that. What's it weigh now?

DynaCol":59z3m208 said:
The diablo's etc used the MT3 frame with the steel rear end, only the Ogre and Ogre XT used the MT4 frame. That was certainly the case for the 92 range and the reason I spent more than I could really afford buying an Ogre BITD :)

Dynatechrider":59z3m208 said:
ibbz":59z3m208 said:
Giom6":59z3m208 said:

Right ibbz,

The Ogre and the Ogre XT are based on the MT4 frameset including the Dynamax Mn-Mo fork. The other models (Solaris with Rock Shox Mag 30 suspension fork, Quantum with Rock Shox Mag 20 suspension fork, Diablo and Diablo DX are based on the MT 4 framesetwith the spinner Cro-Mo fork and the Cro-Mo rear triangle.

Dynatechrider

Apologies for the error of the tip, the MT course is to assign 4 frame to the OGRE. The MT 3 frame is the basis for the Diablo, Solaris and quantum models.

Best regards

Wold Ranger":24n4jbdc said:
ibbz":24n4jbdc said:

#Original spec would have been M735 Canti's, would look much nicer than the Vee's, or any black canti's come to that. What's it weigh now?

I put out another thread asking for votes on whether there should be canti's on this or to leave these V's.

Overwhelmingly people said the Avids on these look great - and only thing I need are smaller front cable, reroute the gear cables to either side and more bendy noodles.
This I have done, but need to take a Pic.
I'm also bidding on a pair of Avid Ultimates in CNC'd Silver which, if I win will go on these, and eventually some Avid Arch Supreme's.
It weighs approx 25 lb 8 oz. But The heavy old Mavic BB needs changing, a lightweight one will bring the weight down me thinks.

Currently working on getting parts together for another Raleigh (RSP Ti)

Back