Which Tool?

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

What tool do i require to secure a crank end dust bolt on a Shimano DA crank? Park tools do a red and a green one - one, presumably, is larger than the other. I do not necessarily need to buy the Park Tool tool.

The tool has two pins to secure the fitting and it appears that people from the USA call this something strange!

Thanks all (yet again!)

you need a pin wrench. OR you could just do what I did and make one using a length of coathanger wire and a pair of pliers. ;)

if it's just the dustcap then there's no need for the (probably expensive) park tool. I got some circlip pliers from ebay a while back for next to nothing. exactly the same as these ones: item number 360281119457

you can probably get some at a decent hardware or tool shop too

foz":1v3yb21y said:
if it's just the dustcap then there's no need for the (probably expensive) park tool. I got some circlip pliers from ebay a while back for next to nothing. exactly the same as these ones: item number 360281119457

you can probably get some at a decent hardware or tool shop too

+1 on the circlip pliers. Or else you could probably fudge it if you already have some sufficiently pointy long-nose pliers (which is how I fitted the crank caps for my Stronglight self-extractors).

David

David B":19k4wsfs said:
+1 on the circlip pliers. David

+2 though make sure you hold in the pliers squarely and when you remove the pliers don't let them close up as you take them out! I you do you'll scrape the caps.

Don't overtighten them......... for some reason they weld themselves to the cranks :( even the red plastic Sugino Maxy ones LOL

Shaun

PS another vote for circlip pliers.

Nothing against it really, except the price...

I don't know which one you'd need though.

and because you can use circlip pliers for circlps :)

Also useful on the rare occasion you need to dismantle a nuovo-tipo skewer :)

Shaun

Back