Butlins or bust but which bike

photoman125

Dirt Disciple
For those who don't know I'm doing a solo unsupported cycle ride on 20th September 2013 from Butlins Minehead to Butlins Skegness using cycle routes, 310 miles in all. My original plan was to restore one of my Sid Mottram lightweights sadly the only frame that isn't to badly rusted is a 22 inch, to small for me. So I have 2 possibilities I can either use my Carlton Corsair commuting cycle but I didn't really want to put drops on it. The other choice is I have a 5 speed Raleigh built Sun solo that I could build into a touring bike.All opinions welcome

I've decided to use the sunsolo for comutting whilst I work on the Carlton Corsair. I trust the Corsair, plans are to change the wheels on the Carlton, at pressent it still has a front dynamo wheel. I have a decent pair of period Sachs wheels to put on. It has straight bars on at the moment so they will be changed for a set of Gran Compe drops, although it does mean moving the gear levers which are currently on the handlebar stem, I have a choice of levers so thats not a problem. I don't want to modernise the Carlton so I'm using parts off the spares shelf that would have been around in 1979

Will do, I don't want to touch the paintwork. It's just in the condition that doesn't make it stand out for bike thiefs

Just a quick update, the bike has been stripped. The frame really could do with a paint job but the rebuild is to make it suitable for the ride not restore it. I will add photos when the camera is repaired. Up to now the dynamo front wheel has been changed to a standard wheel. The brake calipers are weinnman but the rear ones were really to long, the blocks only touched half the rim so I've changed it to a 610. Chainset is being kept as it was when I brought it, a Stronglight with 52/42 teeth. Straight bars have been changed to a set of Dawes drops on GB stem. The gears had been swapped to shimano by the last owner, until I can find the correct suntour I'll be keeping them.
The levers are Suntour stem mounts which are ideal for my back problems.
The pedals on the bike are bmx flats which have been changed to original mks which means I can use toeclips
Hopefully photos to follow at the weekend

Look forwards to seeing the photo's.

I live in Weston-s-Mare, and was thinking about your ride today while out for a quick 20 mile 'leg stretcher'. Must have been something to do with riding past the sea or something like that.... whatever!

Keep us posted.

Back