Send it Now - woes!

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Following the sale of the 1993 Lavadome, the wheels and drivetrain were sold as a package. In Retrobike styleee, I acquired a box from Halfords, packed and shipped using 'send it now' which I think are a Parcel Force subsidiary?

The open flap was stuck solid with a load of 'fragile' parcel tape whilst the bottom and sides were left as existing with the large copper staples as all was secure.

On receipt the buyer found that the bottom had been tampered with and the parcel containing the full drivetrain was missing. The bottom had been crudely re-fixed using straps of brown parcel tape. Rest assured the buyer and myself are on good terms working through the claim. I've also given my word that he's not lost his money what ever the outcome.

I suspect that the theft happened whilst the box was in the care of ‘send it now’!

I can’t help thinking that I was a little naïve by not securing the bottom like the top. Then again you would hope not to have thieving C**ts in trusted employment.

So, beware if you are using send it now / parcel force in the North West and Midlands.

. . . . and relax! :D

004.jpg

I'm not sure I'd leap to the "theft" conclusion quite so quickly. It's entirely possible that the bottom came open somewhere in transit and the parcel inside fell out. The flaps can get caught dragging the box around, or they get parked in a puddle for a bit and the cardboard goes soft. I've had bikes in boxes delivered where the driver's lifted the box in the back of the van and the bike's stayed put :)

Sitting here with a well stuffed package for a UPS collection.

Bored

and

Bored

Funny how the staples just fell out of their own accord! Having just packed everything into a Chain Reaction wheel box, those staple are pretty secure. The cardboard would have to be soaking for them to fall out.

MikeD":myijvc2b said:
I'm not sure I'd leap to the "theft" conclusion quite so quickly. It's entirely possible that the bottom came open somewhere in transit and the parcel inside fell out. The flaps can get caught dragging the box around, or they get parked in a puddle for a bit and the cardboard goes soft. I've had bikes in boxes delivered where the driver's lifted the box in the back of the van and the bike's stayed put :)

Fiar point which I had considered. The buyer is of the opinion that the staples have been removed by force though :?

Anyway, just a warning to others to ensure those boxes are packed securely.

How it was sent

002-1.jpg

I'm sure you are insured on the postage, and you can make a claim. I think it more likely to be an accident as described above. Provide the receipt, and they should cover it

legrandefromage":23i8undo said:
smells fishy.

At least your courier turned up for collection!

Still waiting....

smells fishy? maybe that's the answer. the next shipment box is getting a few herrings thrown-in! :D

You were lucky that you could book it on their website at all it's that shit.
So far it won't recognise, IE9 (says it needs IE6+), correctly installed and functioning adobe reader on IE9, Firefox 12 (says it needs 1.0+).
I complained because I had to drag out my old XP sub notebook the last time to book and they sent a canned response, this time that laptop was the item being sold so was packed securely :roll:
It's annoying as they are one of the only services to offer you the option of drop off (and they are expensive for small packages too) so you don't have to wait around for collection.

Carl.

i only ever send by royal mail post offices now. only about £35 to post a bike in two 20" wheel bike boxes.

jamabikes":2bppq1al said:
i only ever send by royal mail post offices now. only about £35 to post a bike in two 20" wheel bike boxes.

Christ thats expensive - can do a whole bike for under £20 or less.

Update on the ups courier - arrived just after I left for the post office...

Back