Old school workhorses

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
For every cosseted Yo Eddy hung in someone's living room there are probably 100s of similar bikes getting used day in day out. Maybe some are ridden 'properly', maybe some are ridden to work or college. Maybe the owner knows his or her bike has retro interest, maybe they don't care.
Just because they get a hammering doesn't mean the owners don't care for them - after all a bike is for riding.

So let's see some examples. I ride my 91 Stumpy regularly, both on the trails and as a commuter. I see a lot of reader's rides also see regular action. Elev posted a number of examples of Fat Chance commuters a while back on FatCogs but the links are busted....

Here's my first example. Someone using their Aquafade as a commuter ;)

Attachments

• neglected.jpg
    neglected.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 4,161
you need to have faith in your lock . If I had such a nice bike I would surely use it off road , and if to commute only if there was a safe place to leave it .

My Zaskar LE sports a number of retro parts (M900 STIs and cranks, Cook Bros post, Flite evo, Raleigh ti forks) yet is is used five days a week, 20 miles a day be it rain sun or snow :D

I do have a safe place to leave it at work.

gtss4.jpg

Yes, I know the saddle is too far forward- stem has been replaced by a shorter one and saddle is now further back.

The guy that drops his Yo in the bikerack is a :evil: !!!

kidding

it is mine ;)

The Yo were only there for the pic. Thought it was fun to have a pic in a totally odd setting

neglectedFAT600h.jpg

Don't know whether it was the same for the owners of those FATs :

neglectedWickedC.jpg

beater Wicked

neglectedYoC.jpg

beater Yo

you need to spend some time in London (I never will, I hate the place!)
a few commuter friends have seen seven solas, merlin xlms, yo eddys etc locked up with pathetic cable locks. I saw an original fat chance (pre yo eddy) locked up in San Fran in 2000.

horses for courses I suppose. I know some1 who commutes on a ibis silk ti ;)

Hey Elev, I knew that was your Yo ;) . Very artistic shot.

Those were the other pictures I'd seen.. pretty far out.

Nice commuter sylvain. what size ring you running on that.

& yeh sylvian.. whats with you & weird saddle positions? Ibis mojo ti had a seat so steep you could ski down it.. above is soooo far forward its in the next time zone ;)

Here's my singlespeed/commuter/shop bike.
1991 Stumpjumper team. Frame has been repaired by the seat clamp and touched up with garage door paint.

Attachments

• IMGP3209.JPG
    IMGP3209.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4,125
all praise to the classic steel stumpy of the early 90s :!: ... although the touch up paint does imake the the look rather reminiscent of Marin frames when they were going through the sketchy Marin Lite phase :? However if it stops it rustin away it's surely worthwhile.

What was the repair to the seat area?

Latest posts

Back