''War on Britains Roads''

To be fair he did come across as antagonistic, although death threats are harsh.
Also there were times when on his helmet cam i personally would have just slowed down, he seemed to either keep at he same speed or speed up to make a point. I was in London last week and said to my work colleague, who i was with, i would never cycle on the road down here, it is just one congested hell hole imo. I saw many cyclists and pretty much all the busses and cars were within easily within touching distance.
I am just so glad that 10 mins cycle from my house i have countryside, well pretty much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-inundated-hate-messages-death-threats.html

Cycling in London is for the most part perfectly safe. In fact, due to the numbers of cyclists and general speed of traffic I would go as far as saying safer than most other cities in the UK. Drivers in London are far more cyclist aware than they are back home up north, I certainly feel infinitely safer riding the streets of central London than I do when riding the lanes of north Yorks.

To give a little perspective, so far 14 cyclists have been killed in this year London. There have been 77 Murders. (http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports ... rders.html

Yes 14 is too many, as are the injuries that go uncounted, however considering the thousands of journeys made per year by bike in the capitol, the percentages are extremely low.

You may feel uncomfortable on a bike in London at first, I did. But at the same time that you are the most vulnerable road user if hit, you are also the quickest and most manoeuvrable, if you are aware of the dangers and keep your self out of risk where possible you'll be alright.

JeRkY":bmhqltq9 said:
Cycling in London is for the most part perfectly safe. In fact, due to the numbers of cyclists and general speed of traffic I would go as far as saying safer than most other cities in the UK. Drivers in London are far more cyclist aware than they are back home up north, I certainly feel infinitely safer riding the streets of central London than I do when riding the lanes of north Yorks.

To give a little perspective, so far 14 cyclists have been killed in London. There have been 77 Murders. (http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports ... rders.html

Yes 14 is too many, as are the injuries that go uncounted, however considering the thousands of journeys made per year by bike in the capitol, the percentages are extremely low.

You may feel uncomfortable on a bike in London at first, I did. But at the same time that you are the most vulnerable road user if hit, you are also the quickest and most manoeuvrable, if you are aware of the dangers and keep your self out of risk where possible you'll be alright.

try a 40 ft limo! Oh, you did...

I cycled yesterday, on a road and nothing happened...

When I take up my new job posting in the new year I'll be commuting to work by bicycle once more, aside from a 3 mile stretch of road it it will thankfully all be on cycle paths off of the main carriageway, however that 3 miles that isn't scares the crap out of me as its a narrow road and used heavily by HGV's. maybe I should get that new GoPro for Christmas? Oh, and great programme, even if it makes just one inconsiderate driver/cyclist change their behaviour.

JeRkY":19sa1mhh said:
Cycling in London is for the most part perfectly safe.

I've ridden a fair bit now in both central and suburban London - nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined in either case. The number of well-signposted no-traffic or low-traffic routes (I race a fair bit of cyclo-cross at Herne Hill and travel by train; the ride to there from Clapham Junction is a piece of cake) also seems to have improved in recent years; neither is everyone's cup of tea but Ken and/or Boris, no doubt with plenty of impetus from Sustrans, the CTC, the London Cycle Campaign etc., seem to have made good progress on that front.

David

JeRkY":10hhgfhn said:
Precisely. I think new bikes should come with stickers that read 'This machine has no brain. Please use your own.'

I cycled in London for the entire time I lived there (12 yrs) and in that time I watched the average standard of riding really plummet, especially once the 2008 crisis hit. The roads seemed suddenly awash with clueless headphone-wearing suits on cheap hybrids, carving their way on and off pavements like a kid on a scooter.

The level of verbal and physical aggression between cyclists and drivers in London is definitely worse than other large cities such as NY or LA, in my experience.
I hold my hands up to giving some London drivers both barrels on a few occasions, but mostly those that should know better - professionals paid to use the roads (Cabbies, psycho Royal Mail Van drivers, etc). I was a pedestrian and motorist whilst I lived there too, so only gave it out when it was really necessary.

Cycling around LA is an altogether different proposition; 95% of motorists simply don't expect to see you there, and don't know how to react, not to mention that the speed limits on most streets are higher - typically 35mph which means most cars are doing 40+ when the traffic's good (there are no fixed speed cameras here). That speed difference puts cyclists on the back foot right away - you have to defend your position on the road but stay the hell out of the motorist's way, on roads that weren't ever designed with the cyclist in mind. The city is slowly evolving to accommodate the cyclist, but at this point in time it's like London was 12-15 years ago. On a 7-mile morning commute into Downtown LA, I see perhaps 5 or 6 other cyclists. It's a real change of scene.

Due to the presence of the push bike on the road and a car/van..the cyclist will come off worse..i should know{still on going 2 years 14/12/10}.
That accident did lets say "home in all my senses".. i think like it or not we as cyclists have to go that bit further to enhance the "working relationship of cycle and car/van". I always say thank you hand gesture or nod..even to the point that the driver might have gone/pulled out..the fact you might think w%nker or tw%t..as also been pointed out here you bang on someones van seem like an act of aggression to the driver..its you the cyclist saying" you are to f...k.ing close/instant reaction to push the vehicle away from your comfort/safe zone.

I think there needs to be another programme like this to enhance all aspects of road use. Something on the lines you have a private hire vehicle..with cameras with allround recording.In the back of the vehicle you have then a Police officer, then a professional driver, then a cyclist and then another member of the public.

You drive around a city..lets say london.. then all the occupants can see how each of them is percieved by "their action". This will enable then them to talk about each incident from a third party point of view. So say if a cyclist took a risk..like creeping through and jumping a red light..this could be seen and "discussed"between all occupants of the car

We then as road users get an idea of other road users "perception"..hopefully then hot headedness on both parts could lead to more awareness.

Ernie ;)

ernie":mr23qugd said:
I think there needs to be another programme like this to enhance all aspects of road use. Something on the lines you have a private hire vehicle..with cameras with allround recording.In the back of the vehicle you have then a Police officer, then a professional driver, then a cyclist and then another member of the public.

You drive around a city..lets say london.. then all the occupants can see how each of them is percieved by "their action". This will enable then them to talk about each incident from a third party point of view. So say if a cyclist took a risk..like creeping through and jumping a red light..this could be seen and "discussed"between all occupants of the car
problem with that is that it's good common sense and might actually achieve something. Think in the future, turning up to work not having had a rant or fist shake first thing in a morning. Its like forgoing the pre 9am coffee.

pigman":1py02gji said:
ernie":1py02gji said:

problem with that is that it's good common sense and might actually achieve something. Think in the future, turning up to work not having had a rant or fist shake first thing in a morning. Its like forgoing the pre 9am coffee.

:LOL: "your daily constitiutional" :LOL:

Ernie :LOL:

Back