1994 Retrotec Fat Bike with All Weather Sports rim

FirstFlight

Senior Retro Guru
I bought this frame many years ago at the Denver Veloswap. It was in bad shape so we had it powder coated white and original built it up with a mix of black parts (it was a pretty sad non-period-correct which crappy parts build). We had looked at it over the years and couldn't figure out how to fix it. Recently, we got a pair of All Weather Sports double rims and finally figured out what to do with the bike. The frame and rims were from the same era (likely late 1993/early 1994) so we tried to correct some of the mis-matched parts. Sounds like the rims were from the first 200 sets with the rims being welded together followed by grinding out the center walls. Tires are Ritchey 2.35" Z-Max.

More pictures @ http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1994_Retrotec.html

SnowCatSide.JPG

SnowCatTire.JPG

SnowCatHead.JPG

Very nice! I assume Ritcheys were the biggest tyres back then? Can't remember any bigger, in truth I don't even remember the Ritcheys! I do remember seeing some fat bikes with two tyres per hoop.

I love the angles of this frame. It has an essence of klunker/cruiser about it, I'd love to take it for a spin :twisted:

kaiser":3lc4ibif said:
Very nice! I assume Ritcheys were the biggest tyres back then? Can't remember any bigger, in truth I don't even remember the Ritcheys! I do remember seeing some fat bikes with two tyres per hoop.

Specialized had the More Extreme in a 2.5" but we only had one.

Back