Emergency vehicles not using sirens?

I'm a fireman and drive the pumps. Red lights always have to be treated as 'give way' so sirens or not, the ambo should not have shot through. If they hit someone they're in big trouble.

With us it all depends on the time of day and the traffic. At night we tend not to put the sirens on if possible but I'll always give them a blast when coming up to roundabouts or red lights. In heavy traffic I just leave them on.

brocklanders023":37g26da8 said:
I'm a fireman and drive the pumps. Red lights always have to be treated as 'give way' so sirens or not, the ambo should not have shot through. If they hit someone they're in big trouble.

With us it all depends on the time of day and the traffic. At night we tend not to put the sirens on if possible but I'll always give them a blast when coming up to roundabouts or red lights. In heavy traffic I just leave them on.

Brocklander. you are awesome.

Harrogate? Next time you do a fire drill at Windsor House near Valley Gardens can you stick the sirens on and get there a bit quicker. Gets cold standing in the car park.

brocklanders023":2fdens3e said:
In heavy traffic I just leave them on.

You would only have limited success around here, as most of the OAP's can't see or hear a thing... and I'm talking drivers, not pedestrians.

I actually saw someone block an ambulance the other day, until he realised it wasn't a white van and then let it past. You would have thought the blue flashing lights and loud siren would have given it aways :roll:

NeilM":a2hmc9j9 said:
brocklanders023":a2hmc9j9 said:
In heavy traffic I just leave them on.

You would only have limited success around here, as most of the OAP's can't see or hear a thing... and I'm talking drivers, not pedestrians.

I actually saw someone block an ambulance the other day, until he realised it wasn't a white van and then let it past. You would have thought the blue flashing lights and loud siren would have given it aways :roll:

You would not believe some of the stuff I see drivers do. A favourite is for a road full of cars to pull over because they've seen you only for one not to even wonder why everyone else has made space and decide to pull out and over take them all. Another good one is when the car in front tries to out run you :roll:

Kerplunk":sh2m1wgt said:
Harrogate? Next time you do a fire drill at Windsor House near Valley Gardens can you stick the sirens on and get there a bit quicker. Gets cold standing in the car park.

It's not a drill when you have to leave the building, it's because the fire alarm's gone off. Usually due to a faulty system or one of your work pals burning their toast ;)

I'd have the sirens going all the way to Windsor House btw :D

brocklanders023":2nlsq8rt said:
You would not believe some of the stuff I see drivers do.

I cover 35,000 business miles a year and have done for something like 30 years, so unfortunately I WOULD believe just how stupid people can be, but I do feel for you having to experience it first hand.

Back