Emergency vehicles not using sirens?

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone know why this is?
Twice in the last month I've had an ambulance come flying through a red light and nearly hitting me, they had their lights on but no siren? This was ambulances.
Also, twice (again) I had been sat in a traffic jam, looked in the rear view mirror and noticed a police car sat behind me with his lights on trying to get past, again no siren.

not all police cars have sirens,and only A+E ambulances have em asell, cutbacks,or metal theft???
pikeys everywhere. ;) ;)

Being ex police I can tell you there is no requirement to utilise sirens when driving in accordance with various legal exemptions, the main reason being if they are on their way to a nearby burglary in progress for example they don't want the sirens warning anyone they are on their way.

Or as already mentioned the cutbacks have meant a siren simply isn't fitted!

I'm not sure how true it is but someone once told me that often ambulances don't use the sirens when they have a heart attack on board, as it can make the situation worse.

Broady":f3h44dou said:
I'm not sure how true it is but someone once told me that often ambulances don't use the sirens when they have a heart attack on board, as it can make the situation worse.
+1 on that!

A few month's back I was heading for our local Hospital and an Ambulance came through the red lights,
luckily I saw him but was shocked at the driver not having the siren on, at the Hospital I spotted the same
Ambulance and the driver was outside, I asked him as to why there was no siren and he told me sirens stress out patients.

Broady":orr5d7pc said:

I think having a crash would be worse!

Actually when your in an ambulance it's surprising how little you hear the sirens even though they are just outside.

Alison

Back