1983 Raleigh Rapide W.I.P. - links for newbies added

An update - a busy day of polishing so far -

http://s1290.photobucket.com/albums/b52 ... ed%20Bits/

I will upload pics here when i get time but the link shows most of today's work.

I have decided to complete the build with the wheels that the bike last ran on. The original wheels need a rebuild and may need rims - so i can sort that out at a later date when i am having other wheels built.

Al-onestare mentioned polishing his Rapide and the effort involved - he was not joking. I thought my front mech was in good condition until i gave it a quick rub with Autosol - 2 hours later it was finished and the pedals were worse.

I know that when i fit the OE wheels i will polish the hubs and rims whilst the wheel is not built - super easy that way. Instead of today when i am trying to squeeze my largish hands between the spokes to get to the hub - it took ages but the outcome was great - Campag Nuovo Tip Bling!!!

Well, back to polishing.... i'll be back ...

White gloves Ian -
Well they worked til the finger wore out!LOL

I forgot to mention that i think my LBS may ha damaged the front dropout when they were changing the headset - it needed a hammer to remove a wheel i tried today - i initially thought it was a bent fork now i think the dropout has been bent and made slightly smaller hence the difficulty installing and removing the wheel - i am not overly happy (understatement) as this is probably the worst damage caused to the bike in the 29 years i have had it - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

That completes tonight;s rant!!

Oh dear! Tell the shop about their ferk up and that you are not happy and it sounds like the c*nts hammered the headset on instead of pressing it on!

Ian, I was there the bit that sits at the bottom of the forks (the race?) would not go on and paint had to be removed to get it on but it was very tight and the piece of tube used to drive it on seemed to put it on crooked. It took three goes to get it on and quite a bit of force was used - i think that is when it happened as the dropouts were on the floor as this piece was hammered home.

NO idea how to fix it either - ***!

Pretty disappointed by this picture:

IMGP1601.jpg

There still appears to be some polish in that tube! :p

You know things are getting serious when you have to buy autosol like this:

VC132_LRG.jpg

Xmas soon.....

Anyway that is stunning work Richard. Yes I am really looking forward to this being built!

Praise from the polishing master is praise indeed!
Thanks Tel, the tube has diminished in size since that pic.

All the Campag bits came up incredibly well - very bling!

It appears that today may be wiped out as wife and child are going to the doctors and will need me nursing all day unless i can get them to go to sleep and then i will get peace.

NO idea how to fix it either - ***!

Oh man... I know how you're itching to get that bike back together, and the ambivalence you currently feel about taking the frame back to LBS..

Do you want some input on this?

Hi Torqueless,

any input is always appreciated - especially your knowledge.

Richard

Polishing pics - some show before and after

Campag Nouvo Tip FR front

IMGP1653.jpg

Malliard Heliocomatic Rear

IMGP1626-1.jpg

IMGP1623-1.jpg

IMGP1624.jpg

IMGP1623.jpg

Mavic MA40 rims

IMGP1652.jpg

Campag Panto'ed levers