Wookiee's 1991 Team Marin COMPLETE BUILD NOW FOR SALE!

brocklanders023":f5s3izur said:
Looks like a 1992 Eldridge one to me mate. Pretty sure the 'Marin Light' parts came out in 92 and as you'll know the Team wasn't pink in that year.

I had a 1990 Eldridge that had faded paint and looked pink.

My thoughts exactly... I got it from a seller on here who I asked if it was a team and he said yes. So trying to return it now as it can't be a team...

I've decided to take the plunge and respray my stem forks and bars myself! Never done this before so a bit of a voyage of discovery! So got stuck into the stem today...prepped primered and white undercoat done. Now for the fluro pink next. Pretty happy with the finish so far so fingers crossed. Also got the NOS Onza bar ends I have been waiting for...look sweet!

Attachments

• onza 170 2.jpg
    onza 170 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 716
  • onza 170 1.jpg
    onza 170 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 716
  • stem white 2.jpg
    stem white 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 716
...it was all going too well! I got the fluro pink on the stem today and that looked great then it came to the lacquer and its just not given me the finish I want...done 3 coats but just not glossy enough! Despite buying the "extra glossy" type!

....hmph!

it's all down to the prep............ did you wet/dry before lacquer? And inbetwen lacquer coats? Also, some spray cans have rubbish nozzles, and spit the paint out rather than a fine mist, that won't help.

Rob Atkin":2d8qin99 said:
it's all down to the prep............ did you wet/dry before lacquer? And inbetwen lacquer coats? Also, some spray cans have rubbish nozzles, and spit the paint out rather than a fine mist, that won't help.

Wet and dryed after the colour before the lacquer went on but not between lacquer layers...feared it might give the lacquer a misty look. Should I rub down and re apply the laquer?

I'm not really the best person to ask as I'm not an expert.
I would have thought paying a professional to paint it would probably work out cheaper in the long run?

Rob Atkin":14v7h16b said:
I'm not really the best person to ask as I'm not an expert.
I would have thought paying a professional to paint it would probably work out cheaper in the long run?

You know what...I'm inclined to agree with you! Its taken an awful lot of effort to just do the stem. I'm not sure I have the patience to do the forks and bars too :shock: The stem is still not really good enough for me despite sanding re lacquering sanding buffing etc it still has a satin rather than gloss finish. See the pics to judge for yourself. Struggling to find a localish powder coater that does fluro pink. I'm contemplating buying the powder online and taking it to the coater to apply...Wet paint is an other option but is more expensive...

Attachments

• finished stem 1.jpg
    finished stem 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 636
  • finished stem 2.jpg
    finished stem 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 636
So after a real ball ache spraying the stem with results less than perfect, I have decided to get the bars, stem and forks powder coated at LSN up north! With the help of Marc-two-tone I will be getting them done in the next week or so. Going to get a new set of decals from Gil to stick on them and to spruce up the damaged ones on the frame.

The bike being un ridable at the moment has given me the chance to go over everything with a fine tooth comb! Hubs stripped and re-greased (although mint inside!), headset re-greased, STI units cleaned and re-assembled (an f**in fiddly job). Also gone over the frame and removed any marks, mainly oil and muck, only found a small amount on rust on the bridge at the rear just above the brakes. But this is only very light and cleaned up nicely and is now un noticable, the Zolatone paint is just lovely! Once the bars get back from the coaters the new grips and and bar ends can find a home! Can't wait to get it all together.

I've just got a set of black XT M734 canti's which I am going to try out as I think that they may look better with the grey frame/black rim set up. Still keeping hold of the silver ones though incase I change my mind! Other than that I have the new re-issue Dart on the front just waiting for the re-issue Smoke to come back in stock...been a while now. I have seen a Smoke/Dart re-issue set on ebay but they want £119 plus £8 postage! I got my Dart for about £34 delivered from Germany so can't justify it. Alternatively there are a set of Ritchey Alpha Bites on Ebay at £69.99 plus £8 postage...

Who knows what to do! Opinions on all of my build good and bad are always welcome (but not always agreed with! :LOL: ) I am just trying to build the bike I would have wanted as a 16 year old back in 1991!

Oh and Happy New Year! :xmas-big-grin:

Wow! I am really impressed! I like this red parts. :D

Your Marin is little bit older then my but looks 100 times better.

I hope that one day my will be equally good :(

pozdrawiam
xMekpx

Back