Feedback
View
keep it or sell it...

That is all.

Plus points:

cheap insurance

cheap parts & servicing

V8 fun fun fun!

Huge history file including cam chains & followers (£2.5k job!)

Bad points:

V8 = 25, 26 mpg at best

Its daft. I am daft.

So there it is, pretty balanced, easy to repair and service. Big safe car too. But ferocious fuel appetite. One of the Merc mags ran a feature on these and bemoaned the fact that they are disappearing fast. They get at least 3 bodies in the boot and hold many bikes too.

MOT is due this week, passed with no advisories last year, new pads and maybe a tyre this year - I'll find out soon enough.

Just that fuel consumption...

mercedes_500sel_629.jpg

I'm only getting 30/31mpg out of my considerably more modern Merc but with huge servicing costs and none of the diplomatic status that yours assures you.

Keep it.

my mum spent 3.5k on a diesel 'a' class to save petrol costs. thats a lot of money she'll have to save to make back 3.5k.

better the devil you know i say.

Keep it. Amazing car.
I was lucky to get much over 30mpg out of my old '93 190E 1.8 Automatic. Which I sold, last December, for a lot less than I wanted for it.
This is the worst time of year to let go of a car, particularly something as interesting as that.

Are you on any of the Mercedes forums? I'm sure a few there would take an interest. Here's my beast.. W124 E300d 225k and just broken in.

Attachments

• S124 a.jpg
    S124 a.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 578
Re fuel consumption - depends on what kind of mileage you do in it really. If only a few thousand or less then keep it.
If its used daily and/or for regular long journeys then fuel usage could become crippling.

Main reason I ditched my V8 Disco was fuel cost (plus welding) :facepalm: but I was using it daily, often topping 1000 miles in a week. I now have a scruffy old proper Landrover but it barely does 1000 miles a year so fuel £££ isn't a great concern.

DSCF3960_zps2edf0a2e.jpg

:xmas-cool:

Depends if you just have itchy feet or if you do 15k+ and genuinely need to save money. What else would you buy?

I have a 8 year old 350z (25mpg and self maintained) - people always raise eyebrows as if to say "expensive to run" - they say this sitting in new / nearly new diesel euroboxes - they don't realise their depreciation and dealer servicing costs more in a year than my extra fuel bill. Even worse when its a company car they are taxed on.

Keep, both the reasons/explanations for both votes are plus points and just mean you should keep it!

How much would a replacement cost, as with the toys im sure it will have, you will have to spend a lot of hard earned to get anything newer in the same spec range, newer does not mean better anyways in my book, and if you get something else old skool, you dont know what youre buying and it might be a complete nail under even the shiniest of paint!

Sounds like you know yours well and its nice and clean underneath so i would stick with it, and pimp round listening to the V8 rumble and to hell with the fuel costs :D

Back