1991 Rocky Mountain Titanium

Oh no harm in emailing rocky, the our importers have never been useful for me and they give no contact other than that for us UK.
You could also try dekerf, they would have been outsourced to him if he did do them, but he seems to remember what he did do way back then.

well, that's my theory out the window :LOL:
reply from chris dekerf

Hello Mick,
Although we did built a number of models for Rocky in those years, we did not built anything out of Titanium.
Sorry I can be of much help.
Kind regards,
Chris

quick update

fitted xtr 950/2 groupset.also some slicks and lights as i need to start doing a few miles at night on the road.rides very well and definately the best bike i've owned - fits me perfectly and love it to bits

IMG_0016.jpg

not a fan of M95x but it's looking good, especially with the powerlite and black syncros post (assume you had it refinished?) :cool:

RockiMtn":5afgmk6c said:
i think all Ti were outsourced to Sandvik or some other US company at the time.
The Ti Bolt was certainly made by TST (owned at that time by Sandvik Corp), but I'm not sure about the Titanium.

If the serial number 3787 on the dropout is the only serial it has, that would suggest not TST. Ti Bolts had TST serials as well as bullet-end stays. 3787 isn't a TST serial.

I have a record of a 1992 Team Comp serial number which is 3946, so that could be the same builder. I don't know who built Team Comps either, but I think it was either Rocky themselves or a contract builder reasonably close to Vancouver. Rocky-built numbers were also four numerics, but preceded by A for an Altitude or V for a Vertex.
[just to be awkward, a 1991 Team Comp had a Taiwan serial, but 3787 definitely isn't a Taiwan number, and I have been told that no builder in Taiwan was working in titanium at that time.]

thanks anthony,great info as always.there aren't any other markings on the frame anywhere so i guess it's going to have to remain a mystery year

rokimtn - yes,had the post refinished.satin powdercoat and some fresh decals

sausagefingers":2on799xp said:
i guess it's going to have to remain a mystery year
I think the year is very likely 92, but if you want to find out more about the builder or maybe even the year, the person who knows most about early Rockies (with all due respect to Frank) seems to me to be a guy called DeeEight who contributes to mtbr.com

I hope John will forgive me for advertising the opposition just this once, as it's in a good cause, but my advice would be to look through this thread on mtbr - vcr
http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... -2814.html
The thread is about all titanium vcr bikes and I can't remember whether there's a Rocky Titanium on there, but note that the thread originator is none other than DeeEight. If you had a mind to make a post there about your bike, it would be a very worthy addition and you could ask your questions and maybe get some knowledgeable help. Even if DeeEight didn't comment, you could maybe pm him? I think it would be fair to say that he doesn't suffer fools all that gladly, but then (a) you're not a fool, (b) your bike is excellent and of interest to him, and (c) your questions are good ones. If he doesn't know the answers, I really don't know who would.

Anthony":g0moedpn said:
..but preceded by A for an Altitude or V for a Vertex.

Not sure which years you are on about but for teh era of this frame
1991 Altitudes had RMxxxx
1992 Altitudes had RMxxx

I think the first 'x' in the 1991's is always '1'

1993 Altitudes... when I find the damn thing i'll tell you.

RockiMtn":1p8wtkes said:
not a fan of M95x but it's looking good, especially with the powerlite and black syncros post (assume you had it refinished?) :cool:

I would concur. You're getting close ;)

The Syncros decal on the post is not "correct". Should probably be a small hammer-n-cycle logo on the back.

You've got to get some Revs, M700 kit, and a period correct saddle on this bad-boy.

Oh yeah... and loose those crazy DH flats.

...other than that... I really like the bike

Back