Baby 1997 Stumpjumper M2

How short is the commute?

Haha my commute would have to be from one bed to another in that temperature wearing that! ;) :LOL:

Yeah I really love single speed, my record to work is fastest on my single speed road bike, the geared one even though it's technically betterbin everyday isn't as quick - and they weigh the same!!!!

Ride home isn't as quick single speed though :cry:

Really want to try single speed off road :D

I'm feeling a bit of deja vu...

Now we've come full circle, if you remember on page 1 the Stumpjumper frame originally replaced a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I then sold that to Claret73 who's done a fine job restoring it, which made me yearn for another Rocky. Then recently along came Raidan73's Fusion in the for sale section. I think you can guess the rest ;)

The Stumpy has done me well, light and quick, but ultimately too small for a commuter (no matter how much I kid myself) and I've always had a soft spot for Rocky Mountains.

So here's an end, and soon a beginning, keep your eyes open for a Fusion thread in the near future... :D

Update: Fusion thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238641

Attachments

• IMG_4157.JPG
    IMG_4157.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 401
Re: 1997 Stumpjumper M2

Back again! :LOL:

I unearthed a pair of forgotten Bombers last week, saw the Stumpy frame in the corner looking sorry for itself, and a plan was hatched... Why not build a spare-parts single-speed for messing around town on?

Unlike most of my builds (ask Lee ;) ) this one is gonna go fast, a two-nighter hopefully. Here's the progress after the first night. The first pic is finding the right gearing/chain length, the second, a rolling chassis. I'll finish it off one night this week and post the result.

Attachments

• IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6509.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6507.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 334
Re: 1997 Stumpjumper M2 – Rebirth!

As promised...

All good! That is apart from the ‘Golden Boy’ Umma Gumma wannabe that I found NOS for a couple of quid in a roadside secondhand store. Went out for a quick spin round the block for a test ride and the tyre not only managed to pop off the rim, but a huge spilt appeared too :shock: Swapped it as soon as I got home (shame I love grey tyres).
Golden Boy? Golden Shower more like… :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_6540.JPG
    IMG_6540.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 310
Re: 1997 Stumpjumper M2 – Rebirth!

Mini update...

Couldn't get on with the Bombers for street riding so I changed them for a pair of Direct Drives. Having lots of fun on this. It's an uncoordinated, spare-parts-box build but there's something about it, maybe it's because it reminds me of my first (secondhand) BMX my parents bought me BITD... :LOL: :D

Attachments

• Stumpy.jpg
    Stumpy.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 288
Back