ALAN 1979 Super Record

Italuminium

Retro Newbie
Hey guys, new member here, joined RetroBike primarily to drool over pretty vintage MTB pictures, but I figured you might like my vintage road bike as well.

Specs:
frame: ALAN Super Record 1979 54x54 cc
Group: mostly Campagnolo Super record brev. 83 (little too late but hey, not a showbike). Brakes are GS because the Super Records I got with the group are recessed bolt.
Seatpost: Campagnolo two bolt Record, special 25 mm. ALAN diameter
Saddle: Cinelli-branded non-padded Unicanitor saddle, probably late 60's
Stem and bar: Cinelli new logo A1 105 mm, 40-64 Giro d'Italia bars

Wheels: currently Croce d'Aune 32 spokes on Mavic rims, I have a proper Record hubs/Mavic Monthléry wheelset waiting for new spokes as some of the old ones are rusted through.

Bar tape is a little bit too modern, maybe I'll swap it out for some cloth tape or some Benotto vinyl.

and a pic

P1070056 by ctjr, on Flickr

couldn't post it in the previous message since that was my first post in this forum, sorry.

Chain has been shortened to a more proper length since this pic was taken.

Welcome! :)

Good to learn the chain has been shortened to proper length.

What a books. You must be very educated.

Yes.. You win a guaranteed placing in "Distracting photo-background of the month"..

This may be heresy, or wrong information, but you could use the Super Record caliper arms on the Gransport bolts if you wanted to, I think?

Thanks, guys!

Yes, the bolts are interchangeable, but since the bolts are mainly the determining feature between GS and SR it rather defeats the purpose. Plus, I read that most ALAN's back in the weight-crazed days back then were outfitted with GS hubs and brakes since they are lighter than the Record equivalents.

Books are my n+1, more than bikes :)

Robbied196":2ivz8erz said:
I've always loved pale blue metallic paint on a bike, best colour ever :)

ALAN bike were not painted, but anodized. That is why the color keeps looking amazing, even after years and years of use. I like the red ones even better (like mine for example ;) )

I have a model Super Record with 50th/SR mix. The bike looks ace, especially after polishing the lugs :)

Elev12k":24zcsiko said:
I have a model Super Record with 50th/SR mix. The bike looks ace, especially after polishing the lugs :)

Yeah... When I get back I'll probably have enough long winter nights to slap some polish on mine, it sure needs some. Will be my first time, so do you have any suggestions for the polishing product?

Back