DMR Trailstar - from zero to hero....

Fork legs done!

Took them to this place http://www.beadshot.co.uk/ and they used a coarse bead to remove the paint then a finer one to finish. They said if the paint was stripped first they could have got a better finish but it looks very nice to me anyway! £18 total cost. They masked what I asked and even masked the brake bosses even though I forgot to tell them to do it. Good service I reckon.

Nice smooth satin finish.

null_zpsf83aa976.jpg

null_zps08014a18.jpg

null_zps26ded06e.jpg

null_zpsa6e55bbd.jpg

Chain Reaction still have original DMR logo seatclamps for sale so I've just ordered one of those, plus some Stendec oil for the forks, and some self-extracting crank bolts in blue....

So far I have:

Frame: 1997 DMR Trailstar - stripped, dropouts repaired....paint is next
Fork: 1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light - stripped, new seals/oil/decals/polished/bead blasted, now needs reassembling
Headset: FSA Pig - black - got to be really!
Stem: Azonic Shorty - needs polishing
Bars: DMR Wingbar alloy - blue
Seatpost - kallot - would like a DMR one
Saddle - Flite/WTB - want a DMR Expert!!
Seatclamp - DMR - on its way
BB - DMR Wonder Cups (blue) with probably a Shimano Un-72
Cranks - Deore LX (the ones with the same shape as M900?) - need polishing - TA chainrings - NOS Blue DMR Ring Thing
Front Mech/Chain guide - might go 2 chainrings, might use DMR Chain Cage
Rear Mech - Shimano XT M739
Not decided on 8 or 9sp drivetrain - I have both..........
Wheels - Deore XT M750 on Mavic XM719 (black) or Deore LX (earlier) on F519 (silver) - not decided
Tyres - not decided - might be Halo Twin Rail skinwall...maybe DMR
Grips - DMR Zip Grip?
Brakes - Magura HS33 - silver+black
Pedals - DMR V8 - what else??
Extras - X-lite blue chainstay protector... Revell Bikes chain tugs/mech hanger

Just got to decide on the colour for the frame!!

splendid work :) i was wondering how the dropouts would turn out. will they hold up alright?

nice job on the fork lowers too - what are you doing about the marks on the stanchions?

looking forward to seeing this build up. hurry up and choose the bloody colour already :p and dont start a thread poll on it! i cant wait that long! :twisted:

twain":3dkzkchc said:
splendid work :) i was wondering how the dropouts would turn out. will they hold up alright?

nice job on the fork lowers too - what are you doing about the marks on the stanchions?

looking forward to seeing this build up. hurry up and choose the bloody colour already :p and dont start a thread poll on it! i cant wait that long! :twisted:

You can't tell where the dropouts have been filled - its a pro job that's been done. My friend is a top end precision industrial welder so it's probably better than the original!

He did say he could have replaced the entire dropout for me!

Their is only 1 small mark on the stantion about 1cm long and you can barely feel it. I might just polish it gently to make sure there aren't any burrs but I don't think it need filling or anything.

Colour? Not asking any one else - it's my choice! Not white or black, I want a nice colour to go with the blue stuff. Not decided completely yet and it depends on the samples they have at the powdercoaters.

Forks are rebuilt!

I won't put the new decals on until bike is finished as I will be very annoyed if I mark them. The forks look really shiny and new and feel sooooooo plush!

photo4_zps4e064ab1.jpg

Fitted the parts together to see what they looked like. Front end I am well pleased with....

photo2_zpsbcc2bd78.jpg

And the side profile looks good too - I am warming to the white but I hate the way it looks scruffy so fast....

photo12_zps450ee76a.jpg

I have no idea why DMR put the downtube sticker so far down the tube. I think it looks daft and when I put the new ones on it'll be placed a bit further up.

MCsanandreas":hsznnwhl said:
looking good!

+1 ;) i was gonna buy a 97 trailstar and paint it a bold red orange or yellow colour (was leaning towards the red) i was'nt gonna fit any graphics but get a DMR headtube badge to put on the front. i thought it would give it a good clean look

sean

Tyres arrived today.

Ok not strictly period correct, or even close, but they are skinwall so they'll look AWESOME and they are the right kind of tyres for the style of bike.

The tread on these is actually quite deep so they'll be pretty good off road considering their normal use.

null_zpsdad773f0.jpg

I have skinwall Twin Rails on my 2005 Trailstar2. They do look great and give pretty good grip on loose stuff if you run the pressures at about 35psi or so.
Pump them up harder and they are very fast tyres.

They are a bit scary if you encounter any mud though.

Bike's looking good though.

Back