Who needs FS?

Russell":3afl5805 said:
So, in summary...

Riders who ride smooth, un-technical paths don't need suspension.

People who ride harder, more technical terrain, will gain from suspension?

Well at least next time someone starts an 'I don't need suspension' thread, we'll know what type of rider they are.

Er no. I don't see why it's such a hard concept to grasp. It's horses for coarses. Some bikes will be faster on some trails than others because they are more suited to that type of terrain. However, it doesnt mean they are more fun over that terrain which is why some people prefer the less capable bike.

F/S has it place but we don't need it to ride anything that couldn't be ridden with a hard-tail, now lock on grips.........that's a different matter :D

Not so sure about that either. Do you think the Redbull Rampage could be done on a hardtail?

There are so many different types of hardtail and full susser and many different trails of varying severity. Riders also have different skill levels. There are trails that I can ride on both an old skool geometry XC hardtail that are boring but much faster on my full sus. And there are trails that are simply to steep and severe (for me) that the only way I can ride them is on my full sus. There are also trails on which the full sus is slow heavy and lumbering but where the the 90's XC hardtail kicks ass.

If you're racing, ride the bike you think will be the fastest on that coarse. If you're not, ride the bike you think you will have the most fun on. Simple!!!

Even my senior ass goes up and down terrain that full suss is simply incomparably better on.

Strangely, I have just switched back to riding a hardtail, now my back has settled down and my leg is nearly sorted.

I enjoy a hardtail more, and I really am getting a little old for the harsh stuff. So yes, I have given up crack as well.

It is an interesting debate, and naturally polarises opinion.

When I set out in a 4x4, even to the local store, I get a subliminal boost to be in a vehicle that, if the need arose, could take the hit of a minor ditch and still get me home, or take me up the hill on the shortcut to the farm if there was an emergency.

I guess all those chaps I see burning around town on six inch travel full sussers have it in mind that at the drop of the hat they could nip into the hill and bomb down a gnarly descent.

Nout wrong with that.

JamesM":12083ld9 said:
There are so many different types of hardtail and full susser and many different trails of varying severity. Riders also have different skill levels. There are trails that I can ride on both an old skool geometry XC hardtail that are boring but much faster on my full sus. And there are trails that are simply to steep and severe (for me) that the only way I can ride them is on my full sus. There are also trails on which the full sus is slow heavy and lumbering but where the the 90's XC hardtail kicks ass.

If you're racing ride the bike you think will be the fastest on that coarse. If you're not ride the bike you think you will have the most fun on. Simple!!!

totally agree, but you dont "need" full suspension, you ride to the bikes limits, not your own. tbh rampage is ace and very very special, but jumping dowes not require suspension at all, but it does soften the landings ;) which does help immensely, ive ridden peatys stomping ground a great number of times on both types of bikes and sure f/s was great, but it doesnt help while flying :D

i would quite happily ride against anyone on my long travel hardtail on any terrain, not to prove a point, just because i can lol :D

That video has been kicking around other places, fwiw people are saying the terrain is a lot more challenging than it looks and some of the drops are a bit hairier! Also the guy Jinya races for Chromag on a hardtail in downhill races, I'm not sure how successful he is but he gives it a bash. Another vid showing him ragging a hardtail

http://vimeo.com/30043686

highlandsflyer":j17y1adc said:
Good point.

It is difficult to capture how gnarly a route is on film.

A little like TV puts pounds on, film takes degrees off.

i always look fatter on photos lol

Personally it seems I prefer a hardtail, rigid and full sus have their place but the hardtail for me is the most practical tool for most jobs. I like rigid because its maintenance free and adds a bit of challenge and I like full sus because if the ride goes long or is hard I will most certainly finish fresher. Next year I'm going to ride in Italy for a week on some fairly gnarly stuff, I won't be taking my long travel hardtail and will be looking for a full sus.

Back