Old Raleigh

dan singh":554kzpo7 said:
Zapster":554kzpo7 said:
Gears are for old people :)

Fixed gets you fitter in no time and teaches you how to be a better rider.

Nice work on this Pu6486.

How exactly does it teach you to be a better rider? Makes you see mad van drivers sooner?

Only someone that has never ridden a fixed would ask such a question.
Being more aware of your surroundings is one thing for sure, but there are quite a few benefits to riding fixed.

1, Vastly improves your cycling strength.
2, Vastly improves your pedalling due to having to push up hills and spin out downhill, improving cadence.
3, Improves your 'feel' of the bike due to the directness of your actions to the reactions of the bike.
4, Using your pedalling to brake/slow you down, also gives you an experience nothing else can touch. Not sure if this makes you a better rider exactly, but it sure doesn't make you a worse one.

I'm sure there's some more benefits, but those are enough to answer your question.

How did you know it was a Raleigh without decals or a badge? I have what looks like exactly the same frame with a respray and no markings, but there is a serial number of 5 digits then a letter F. The parts were a mixed bag of ages and makers when I bought it.

Where did you get your long drop tektro rim brakes from? Also are they nutted or recessed bolt? Looks great with the silver seat post, stem etc. Want the same look with mine.

Re:

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence. I think I just IDd my similar frame as a Raleigh Routier, but along the way I've only seen these odd brake and dynamo braze-ons on photos of a Raleigh Pacer and Sun Solo if that helps. Yours looks great now, inspiration to get on and do something too.
Were the long brakes tektro r559?

Back