Recommend an RC car to start out with

I had a huge petrol 4x4 Traxxis somethingorother and it was great fun and very reliable + tough.

If going electric why not get a Tamiya kit that needs building up. Bitd that was all part of the fun. Even better, why not get one of the retro re-releases like the Frog, Avanti, Thunder Shot etc? The old ones were far better looking imo.

Me and my chums have had Tamiya, Traxxis, HPI, Schumacher and Team Lossi in the past and all have been great. I'd recommend Tamiya or Traxxis for a newbie though.

thanks for the info guys, i'm looking for something like this:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/3707Lrustlervxl

or this:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/2407Lbanditvxl

the latter being my preference of the 2.
i'd love to give a build it kit a go, but like the appeal of a ready-to-go kit, especially since i'm due another child....will have zero time to have this stuff all over the kitchen table - i get enough slack for servicing my gear shifters and sprockets before dinner time!

Must add that bit more..............

I'm lovin this thread! Breaks the norm about 'retro bikes'

Infact I'm going to get my Savage out again, though its been two years since I ran it i'm sure it will go!

Just dug my old nitro RC10GT out a few weeks ago. Still isn't running properly but I do now have a HPI Firestorm and Losi XXX-S as projects...

I'd suggest you pick up something like an older 1/10th electric truck with nimh batteries and a brushed motor to start with. This will be cheap and reliable, no hassle with LiPo charging and tuning a nitro engine etc. Also worth considering that nitro and brushless are quick, esp if it's your first foray into proper RC. Many a run out with the nitro truck when I first had it was ended following a collision with an solid object at speed.

The down side of many RC nitro cars/trucks is that there is no reverse gear so is a pain when you want to reverse out of a situation.
Find out if a reverse gear kit/option can be fitted, like the Savage can be.

Ian Raleigh":34jr8vpz said:
tintin40":34jr8vpz said:
FG petrol. Are easy. Just pour the 2 stroke in. Pull the starter and 45 mins of off road fun.
26cc power 1/4 scale. Proper R/C car. Come ready built. Just fit the servos and ready

Now tell him how much they are will you, but give him time to sit down first! :shock:

cheap for petrol. H.a.r.m or Lauterbacher now sit down quickly :LOL:

brocklanders023":19vay2gh said:
TBH if you're looking at a modern stadium truck I'd go nitro if you can afford it.

You haven't tried LIPO & brushless have you? :LOL:

I ran Nitro 1/8th buggys for years. Wouldn't consider going back now. Smelly, fiddly, noisy.

Out of the Rustler and Bandit, The Rustler will be more 'Fun'... Have you looked at the Short Course trucks? They're a laff.

Back