Raleigh Skyhawk

I like it more and more, can't stop looking at it!

Looks like it would be a really nice long distance bike, on or off-road.... Def a keeper!

I love the cheaper end of the market like these (well compared to the Konas, specialized and Marins. ;) )

I recently got an Apollo attack 3000 as a long term project simply because I liked the look of it. Havent got a clue about it and its a pic 'n' mix of parts but only cost me £10 and its rideable so not going to complain. (going to have nearly everything replaced anyway). Projects like these are never money makers but its all about doing it because you want to and thats why I respect anyone that collects the things others wouldnt touch. (I'd still love another Marin or a Kona though :LOL: )

Oh and I do actually really like that raleigh. very interesting frame style.

elPedro666":2lcv1xqr said:
All this peace & love & agreement ... where have the bike snobs gone...? :p

They are all in the lounge polishing their Queens (not that it needs it after its been hermetically sealed) for the professional photo shoot for this months BoTM Special :roll:

:LOL:

G

Wow, interesting bike you have there.

Obviously the frame design is almost identical to Haro's from the same era, rear brake/cable routing and stem look to be the only difference.

Wonder which came first? I'm guessing Haro because the Extreme's design was based on their BMX line at the time. Could be wrong though.

In any case it's a neat bike and it probably rides great.

Btw, does this bike have the reverse sloping top tube? Lower in the front?

wow, what a lot of feedback... nice that everyone is so positive :)

will upload a full spec list later (should help to date it hopefully)

... Elev12k ... thanks for the links, the marktplaats link for the Raleigh variant was the one I bought last night (quickly removed the nasty plastic mudguards and stand of course :D )

... Mr. Toad ... yep it does have a reverse sloping top tube (lower at the front) ... can't quite tell that from the photo ... need to take some more I guess (probably at the weekend during daylight hours)

... unkleGsif ... yep, I think the crest on the back is one of my favourite bits as well

I initially had the idea to put some road tyres on it and use it as a leisure bike (Sunday afternoon rides out with the family etc.). I think it would suit them.

Think the seat post needs to go (not sure what it is, to be checked)... the seat angle is not adjustable so end up with the rather strange upward pointing seat... although if I do that I will feel required to use an XT post to keep with the rest of the bike :)

At the weekend I'll give it a thorough going over and see what work really needs to be done.

johnv":przxt970 said:
wow, what a lot of feedback... nice that everyone is so positive :)

Doing my best to provide some balance :x Odd because it's usually me loving the unloveable! :twisted:

spent some time this weekend checking the full spec as promised ...

Frame: Raleigh Skyhawk, Tange Double Butted CrMo MTB tubing

Fork: Tange Double Butted CrMo MTB tubing

Headset: Deore XT
Stem: ?
Handlebar: ?
Grips: (to be replaced)
Barends: N/A

F Brakes: Deore XT cantilever
R Brakes: Deore XT U brakes
Brake Pads: Deore XT
Brake Cables: ?
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano BLM780
Shifters: XT 6 speed
Front Derailleur: Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT
Derailleur Cables:?
Cassette: Shimano UG 6 speed
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: XT FCM730
Crank Bolts: ?
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace 28/38/48
Chainring bolts:?
Bottom Bracket: ?
Pedals: Deore XT

Hub Skewers:SHIMANO
Rims: Araya RM20
Hubs: Shimano HBM730 (rear), FBM730 (front)
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: (to be replaced)
Tubes: (to be replaced)
Seatpost: Strans
Saddle: Vetta

been a while, but I did finish off tidying up the old Raleigh a couple of months ago. In the end I settled on just a good thorough service. Full strip down, regrease, new cable inners/outers, plus a nice new set of tyres. Quite pleased with the result in the end. Up to now I've just been using it for the odd trip out with the family.

The sun was shining today (finally! :)), so I took some photos (whilst taking some pics of my new project ... this retro bike addiction seems to be getting worse :cool: )

cheers
John

Back