Who needs FS?

greenstiles":2p5zfiff said:
I think most people who have owned many :cool: of both types of bike know that if the trail is not too challenging the ht will be quicker...

I can't see why this would be the case given fairly similar weights and set-ups (tyres, wheels etc.).
Maybe the hardtail might feel faster, as you have more feedback from the surface that you're riding on but I can't see any reason why it actually would prove to be so.
Modern FS bikes with well sorted suspension geometry and platform damping can climb just as well (often better) than a hardtail IMHO.

longun":2tx0izhj said:
JamesM":2tx0izhj said:
longun":2tx0izhj said:
do you need F/S?, not at all, your legs have more travel.

Your legs can't do what rear suspension does!!! For the record though I much prefer riding short travel hardtails too.

have you seen how long my legs are lol ;)

No, but they still can't do what rear sus does!!! ;)

greenstiles":2dlei3go said:
Sounds like the spiel a good saleman would give to shift a fs that wasn't selling...... instead of selling the hardtail the customer really wants ;)

I think most people who have owned many :cool: of both types of bike know that if the trail is not too challenging the ht will be quicker.........some people who own fs bikes 'think' their going faster than they really are, cos it says so in the adverts, well that's how they sell stuff I guess, ;)

The olympic course this year was critisised for not being 'challenging' but the winner was riding FS. Go figure.

Bet he'd have been faster if his hardtail wasn't still in the workshop, and he had to borrow his mates squidgy fs.....he could have knocked seconds off ;)

Seriously though, your talking about another track, not the one in the vid, I guessit really boils down to what you feel most ' confident on '.

I remember one partictular ride with 15 people on fs inc myself on a 4'' bike others of 4-6'' travel and we were all stoked up......and a guy on a fully rigid Kona wipped the floor with us all..........and some of us were good riders.

I like a good full sus bike and my last one was a Heckler with 5th element coil which was great, but on smoother trails, accelerating, climbing, and lack of flex can be an advantage with a good light ht.

It's hard to find a good climbing and decending fs as the really light ones usually have less travel up front than a long forked ht that would be able to plow the front end through a lot of stuff letting the rear have less of a hard time. But you have to know how to ride a bike with only long travel up front to get the most out of it.

greenstiles":1at6vhiz said:
I remember one partictular ride with 15 people on fs inc myself on a 4'' bike others of 4-6'' travel and we were all stoked up......and a guy on a fully rigid Kona wipped the floor with us all..........and some of us were good riders.

I am guessing he was just a faster rider, period.

No, we all took turns on his bike and came first each time...... ;)

A lot of long travel front end hardtail riders who have fs will choose to ride thier ht on smoother tracks because they like me belive it is faster.

There's plenty of forums where people have mentioned this before, so no smoke without fire as they say.

My believe comes from riding in Wales for 20 years on about 50+ bikes not inc the test/demo bikes.

Unless thingshave changed dramatically in the past couple of years and there is a 5'' + front and back fs with no frame 'wag' steering delay...etc that is stiff AND light with long forks..and climbs well....i stand by my not very important oppinion, cos that's all it is :D

For me the big advantage of full sus is on the brakes. If your back end is kicking into the air and skipping about like a lamb with adhd, then it's placing most of the traction and braking demand onto the front fork/tyre. Your arms tend to go a bit stiff too. Climbing can be very efficient but it's never quite as snappy, especially when mashing the pedals out of the saddle.

Saying that, there's definitely days when the hard tail will give you more of a buzz, but you'll need to be taking berocca :D

greenstiles":39wfrg5m said:
A lot of long travel front end hardtail riders who have fs will choose to ride thier ht on smoother tracks because they like me belive it is faster.

Makes perfect sense to me. The smoother the trail the more it favours the hardtail, otherwise roadbikes would have full suss wouldn't they!!!

JamesM":3o1ppdn8 said:
greenstiles":3o1ppdn8 said:

Makes perfect sense to me. The smoother the trail the more it favours the hardtail, otherwise roadbikes would have full suss wouldn't they!!!

So, in summary...

Riders who ride smooth, un-technical paths don't need suspension.

People who ride harder, more technical terrain, will gain from suspension?

Well at least next time someone starts an 'I don't need suspension' thread, we'll know what type of rider they are.

358x228_Feat-List-Main_FW_38.jpg

Back