Ebay query - may be fishy, may not be....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just recieved this regarding an item i hadn't even paid for yet:

"I am having problems receiving your payment via paypal and have been advised by Ebay that it is because of my email address which I have now changed to a new one. Ebay have said that the only way to receive payment is to request that you cancel and resend your payment using my new email address of (he inserted a new email address here).
I am so sorry for the delay and the inconvienience at this busy time."

not sure what to make of it.

surely if there is a problem with him recieving money, he should update his email address with paypal and then with ebay and not need to ask me to do this...??? then i just make my payment as normal through ebay/paypal checkout...??

not sure how this works.
Its not for an item of particularly high value, but just hesitant when people on ebay ask to send money to a different account other than through ebay itself....

what do you lot think of this?

As you haven't even tried to pay, I would be seriously worried. How can he see a payment problem when one hasn't been attempted?

By canceling the transaction you would end up outside eBay and outside any protection. Insist it stays inside eBay. If he wriggles further report him to eBay.

If looks like a turd and smells like a turd there's a damn good chance it's a turd. In other words, unless the ebay checkout process takes you to that paypal account I wouldn't part with a penny mate. It's up to the seller to resolve any issues with their ebay/PayPal if indeed its genuine.

Some good advice above :)

It could be genuine, but I'd err on the side of caution. I think he should be able to invoice you for the item through eBay? If he can, then get him to do that.

my spidey sense is telling me the same.

i've already contacted him - said i havent made any payment yet, and played dumb asking if the message he sent was intended for me...:?

i'll see what he comes back with.
i'm not going outside of ebay. even if its for something as low value as this.
his feedback is 100%, but as a seller he's only sold one item previously.

will wait this one out. :)
ta chaps and i'll keep you posted.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you've not tried to pay, I can't understand why he's sending you his new email address. Once he has updated his email address with Paypal you just make the normal Paypal payment, I can't see any problem with that.

Could it be that his eBay account has been hacked, perhaps by a phisher, but not his Paypal account? If that's the case, the hacker could message you from within eBay and ask that you send payment to another email address.

Sounds to me like theyre trying to make you pay outside of ebay (which is against ebay's terms and conditions iirc) and will leave you open to scamming with zero protection from ebay/paypal!

Their fee's exist for a reason, youre buying legal cover with your transaction, always pay as goods and via ebay and you 'shouldnt' have any bother, try to circumvent their fee's and you may aswell be lubing up and bending over for the seller to raid you and leave!

Back