Raleigh Skyhawk

johnv

Kona Fan
saw this on marktplaats, could not resist (got it very cheap), not sure why but I have a bit of a soft spot for old Raleighs (still trying persuade my father in law to part with the old pink Mustang in his garage so I can give it a bit of TLC). Pretty sure it will split opinion here, but you've got to admit there's a whole lot of nice Deore XT on there. Actually expect most will not like it, but I'm kind of pleased with it, if only for what seems to me to an endearing combination of an odd looking, slightly overweight frame with high end kit.

I don't know much about the history of this one, seems to be the same frame as late 80's Haro Extremes (found this thread, http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145962). Main difference seems to be the front fork and the rear brake mounts. It's definitely not the lightest frame.

Anyone know the year, I'm assuming 88 to 90 ??

Other than that I'm amazed by the quality of the components and the general condition of the bike. BB is still solid, no issues with the seat post, wheels run smooth and the rear cassette clicks like it was new. As far as I can tell it just needs some new cables, a bit of a lube and the front wheel is a bit out of true.

I seem to be the third owner. Original user raced it (??), then the last owner kept it for occasional city use. Bought in NL, so nice that this is a Raleigh version not the Gazelle badged one.

Pictures (low quality from smartphone for now) ...

20121203_213714.jpg

20121203_213733.jpg

20121203_213727.jpg

20121203_213742.jpg

20121203_213808.jpg

20121203_213817.jpg

20121203_213827.jpg

20121203_214057.jpg

20121203_214158.jpg

johnv":2tid3fh9 said:
Anyone know the year, I'm assuming 88 to 90 ??
M730 XT was mainly 1987/1988. Some bikes in 1989 still had it but most switched to 7 speed M732 "XT II" which was new for that year.

Had no idea Raleigh had re-badged Taiwanese frames... I guess in other markets Raleigh was just a marketing brand rather than a company making bikes.

Still looks in great condition, only the brake levers need a polish ;)

If it said 'Fat' on the tube instead of 'Raleigh' everyone would be wetting themselves about now... ;)

It's an interesting bike and makes a change from the usual monotonous parade of trendy old tat! :p

We_are_Stevo":3ryl3sd6 said:
If it said 'Fat' on the tube instead of 'Raleigh' it would still be utterly, utterly hideous

:p :LOL:

Well, it's good to divide opinion sometimes, but it's eye-bleach time for me I'm afraid...

Good score on the XT though, and so long as you like it then happy days :cool:

We_are_Stevo":3cpv0be6 said:
If it said 'Fat' on the tube instead of 'Raleigh' everyone would be wetting themselves about now... ;)

It's an interesting bike and makes a change from the usual monotonous parade of trendy old tat! :p

Exactly, and just one reason why I am spending less time here lately, other than to purchase necessary stuff

Innovative design, good components, known histroy... whats not to like?
Abssoluetely loving the placement of the headtube crest on the stay-bridge :cool:

G

Gazelle had a Skyhawk like that too. Both Derby companies back in the day.

Back