Ignorant.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:

1.Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
2.Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

So i was recently schooled by a non british person on this word. He was in fact right that it doesnt mean ignoring. But i said people use it as one and the same. Dont they?

'You're so ignorant'.

I think it's yet another word whose meaning is getting stretched to accommodate lazy language habits. A bit like "racist" which can now, apparently, be applied to absolutely any kind of prejudice whatsoever, not just the "racial" type. But I've never studied Etymology, so what do I know? ;)

We were told at school that most people were ignorant of what "ignorant" actually meant.

No, Not that I know of. I've never heard it used the way you put it. It's still ignorant and ignoring :?

Possibly a local thing or I don't get what you're trying to say.

yeah never heard of anyone using ignorant as ignoring, just people that don't know crap

maybe ignorant people use it for ignoring...not saying anything, just would fit the description :twisted:

FluffyChicken":xag4h91s said:
No, Not that I know of. I've never heard it used the way you put it. It's still ignorant and ignoring :?

Possibly a local thing or I don't get what you're trying to say.

I was going to say that it might be a local thing - but "East Yorkshire" (you mean what most people call Humberside and what I was brought up to call the East Riding of Yorkshire, regardless) ain't that far away from Barnsley. So that theory's blown out of the water.

Back