Kona Kilauea 1996 Restored

Anthony":95u4pri4 said:
I tend to agree with your photo caption, where it says "Front and rear risks and new cable routing added"!

The rear risk should be ok as the restorer has added a brace, but I would think the P2 was certainly a risk. When Kona modified the design for a disc tab, they made it a much more heavy duty fork. I'm not sure they ever had a butted version for discs, certainly not for the years I am aware of. Your P2 is quite thin metal down near the dropouts and it will have been weakened further by the new welding/brazing. I wouldn't use it. Why not fit a nice 80mm suspension fork to go with your nice bar/stem combo? There are SIDs around in white.

I don't think you can have a pearlescent finish over the decals. The pearlescent element is surely granules in the top powder coat - normally powder is applied in one coat only, so perhaps multiple coats is the way to achieve this finish? Then they might have done a clear coat over the decals. The decals look quite good incidentally, did you have them made specially?

Thanks for the heads up on the frame. It wasn't done by any old cowboy so im pretty happy it won't cark it on the first dh - but if it does, suspension will be on the cards

re paint: the guy that did it is at the top of his game, powder coating over the stickers etc is quite tricky business. might have to be seen to be believed, but the pearl and clear coat were done in coats 2 and 3 OVER the stickers.

Decals from here: http://www.graphicshack.co.uk/product/R ... _Kit_rkk95

Grockel":2d1tmhkk said:
Nice bike but I must admit short stems and riser bars send me into a cold sweat. ;)

Sorry dude. Hope the thumbies bring your temperature back down?!

:shock:

Back