Baby 1997 Stumpjumper M2

Cheers - I hope to get it done soon and will certainly post it here. The plan is to get 700C knobblies for a cyclo-cross look but I'm not sure how wide I can go with those MA40s. I fancy the comfort of wider tyres and it would make a nice hybrid. I'm hesitating between flat bars with LX STI units or drops with Campagnolo Mirage brifters. But leaning towards the drops to be honest...

Ok, winter is drawing in fast here in Sweden. Unfortunately skinny tyres just aren't gonna cut it on ice and snow, so it's time for another change...

Here we are in mid transformation: ;)

Attachments

• stumpy.jpg
    stumpy.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 636
Love this project, thought of doing something similar (700c) with my Cannondale.
Dare I mention toe overlap though? :shock:

img_2019_425.jpg

Toe overlap has never been an issue on this build, whether that's down to luck or small feet I'm not sure :LOL:
It does have a bit of a chain-dropping habit when shifting to 6th, but I think it's down to timing the shift with pedal stroke.

As said above, go for it, there's something sublime about the ride.

Introducing the Stumpy SSSS (Snow-Spikes-Single-Speed):

Poor thing jumped in at the deep-end, it was -17°C on today's morning commute :shock:

Attachments

• stumpy_snow.jpg
    stumpy_snow.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 543
stumpjumper1990":2ip5i3bp said:
It's lovely, mate!

But I think you might want to use a chain tensioner! :?

Cheers!
You're right, looking at the chain now, it does look a bit slack. The axels are sitting a little forward in the drop-outs so it should be just a question of moving them back slightly.

I like the simplicity of single speeds, I found I was only really using two of the six gears on the previous build (plus my commute is laughably short :oops: )

As for clothing:

Attachments

• pants.jpg
    pants.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 508
Back