1990 Mercian

random man

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Hello, this is my first post but I've been watching this site for a little while now.

I bought this 1990 Mercian this weekend. I wanted a steel winter bike, and I also wanted a Mercian.

photos2012077.jpg

My plan is to have it resprayed at Mercian and upgrade the groupset. It's got six speed Shimano Exage kit at the minute and this is original. The chainset is 53-42 with a 14-25 cassette.

photos2012078.jpg

I'm not sure whether to keep it retro and upgrade to 90's Campag Super Record with downtube shifters or bring it up to date with a Shimano Tiagra or 105 groupset.

It's not desperate for a respray but I guess I'd like it to look as smart as possible eventually. It rides well as it is and I think I need to increase the gear range first!

When you say 'increase' do you mean improve?

My new bike has a compact set-up and, to me, seems under-geared but the guy in the LBS says i should try and put up with it during the winter and then when the sun comes (god knows when that will be) change the chainrings and cassette to something higher.

Welcome to the site - that's a lovely bike. I'd go for the first of the options you mentioned for the upgrade... Don't you like the colour of the bike? What's the reason for wanting a respray?

Welcome to the site - that's a lovely bike. I'd go for the first of the options you mentioned for the upgrade... Don't you like the colour of the bike? What's the reason for wanting a respray?

Thanks Rich. The photos don't show where the paint has been touched up, but I am having second thoughts about how important a respray is.

TGR":1a1474h2 said:
When you say 'increase' do you mean improve?

My new bike has a compact set-up and, to me, seems under-geared but the guy in the LBS says i should try and put up with it during the winter and then when the sun comes (god knows when that will be) change the chainrings and cassette to something higher.

I'd like to change the inner ring to a 39 and, if it will take it, put a 7 speed 12-25 block on.

random man":gojtagry said:
It's not desperate for a respray but I guess I'd like it to look as smart as possible eventually. It rides well as it is and I think I need to increase the gear range first!
Hope you have a spare £300 for it to be resprayed at Mercian!

Too many people restore bikes to such a high spec they dare not ride it any more :roll: Upgrade the mechanics then do ride her.

Even if you have Mercian do the respray, Mercian will add a nice 'Renovated' 531 sticker and after that if you ever wanted to sell, the purists won't touch it with a barge pole.

Its only original once :)

Thanks for the comments guys. The respray's been put on the back burner, I'll start looking for a nice groupset now :)

Back