Uk education system second best in Europe

markyp":1ucbhrmx said:
I think that there is a certain degree of teaching to the exam in schools. It's almost learning to pass the exam rather than understanding the topic. I think that there is a difference between learning and understanding.

Absolutely.

I went to boarding school and am quite frankly amazed at what is taught to the kids in my two stepson's state schools - there is no understanding of a subject taught, just the answer, which is the opposite of what I was taught at school - i.e. Encourage the understanding and when that clicks, everything else is straightforward.

markyp":b7bxi7ih said:
teenagers seem to get a lot of stick...but I believe that they are simply a product of their environment/education system.

And f*cking facebook!!!!

Never has one thing caused so much grief to parents, teachers and children alike!

dbmtb":3vuslaxb said:
Well having taught briefly in the UK and with 2 kids in Danish schools, I'm not ENTIRELY surprised that the Danes are lagging behind the UK.

Very suprised at this, any specific problems?

how do you mean, "help ourselves"?

longun":3karcf9h said:
markyp":3karcf9h said:
teenagers seem to get a lot of stick...but I believe that they are simply a product of their environment/education system.

true as well, but government, social trends and parents who feel its just our job to teach them do not help. the bigger picture is not clear, but then neither is the current, or retrospective opinions on teaching and education. not one entity is to blame but we dont help ourselves alot of the time.

Best way to make a load of money is to pay some poor ba***** to work their arse off for you, while 'you' reap the profit while paying them a pittance. It's a system that has worked well for thousands of years, why change it...........they should teach that in school.

B77":2dw0ceat said:
lumos2000":2dw0ceat said:
disagre all you like but dont tell me what to teach my kids, at the moment a job in aldi is all this country has to offer no matter what your education, my daughter is no different to all the rest she wants to be a vet. shes just changed school from a pirtty decent first school to a shit middle school. she is currently lined up to go to the worst school in the country unless we can move to a different catchment area. i try to make as much difference i can but i know from experience that a decent school does matter.

I'm not telling you what to teach your kids, teach them whatever you want and tbh with your attitude to have as an example they'll have no chance.

'Aldi is all this country has to offer' There are other countries out there.

'My daughter is no different to all the rest' Really ? There's some good incentive for her, there you go honey you're no different from anyone else........

When I was at school we had a couple of lessons in how to sign on because there was f**k all work and very little hope of anything getting any better, a lot of my mates just gave up there and then and are still on the dole/sick or in shitty jobs, I didn't and took my exams and as soon as i could **** off to where I could find work, I've worked my way round europe, kept my eyes open and taken opportunities when they've come up and never borrowed a penny or got into stupid debt for things I don't need. Now I live in a **** chateau am as happy as a pig in shit and have a business where work is coming out of our ears, mainly because I never listened to those who said 'you won't be able or 'you can't' and my old man taught me that you have to work your cock off if you want anything.

Smug bastard ? Oh yes.

my attitude is a result of living in the uk, did you read my post?

yes i know theres other countrys out there but im stuck in the uk for now. having just sold my property abroad. again did you read my post.

my daughter is like the rest becouse she is ambitious :roll: though im worried shell be limited by her education. you make a lot of assumptions. i suggest you keep them to yourself

they taught you how to sign on becouse you went to a shitty school.

when i was at school they taught me how to shoot straight ;) proper military boarding school

back on subject, i think the probelm in the uk is due to the attitude towards education, there seems to be a stigma attatached to being clever or wanting to do good, i dont see that in other countries

So you have a shit/negative attitude because you live on the uk ? :LOL: :LOL:
Pretty much everything that's wrong with the country right there.

I was taught how to sign on because at the time the uk was on a recession, unemployment was over 11%, all the shipyards, docks, and pther heavy industry in the area who were the traditional employers had shut down and as factory fodder as you put it we were seen as having no chance.

You have just sold your holiday home ? And now your daughter is going to go to one of the worst schools in the uk because you live in it's catchment area ?
Didn't learn much at miltary scholl did you ? apart from how to shoot things pf course.

Only country with stigma attached to learning and being intelligent ? The states is like that too, sadly.

Back on subject, the uk seems to go through many changes of heart and edcuation reforms and has many parents who don't give a toss or see it as the schools job to educate not theirs, so it's a surprise to see us doing so well at school, fantastic. Just think if we're that good with the state of the country at the moment and there were less people pissing in the soup maybe great britain could actually become great again.

like i said you make a lot of asumptions, and it seems you dont know much about the subject eather so i guess your just trolling, did your misses leave befour or after you lived in le chateau? do you get time from working your cock off to take an intrest in your daughters education?

:roll: though i will agree the problem in the uk is the attuide, i find it hard to belive that we are 2nd in europe when im constanly meeting people that have come here to learn english that are obviously educated to a higher standard. or mabey im just meeting the ones who botherd or who could afford it?

Back