''War on Britains Roads''

one-eyed_jim":2s48gmfy said:
d00m":2s48gmfy said:
Ever used a dual carriageway in a city?
I've lived in cities most of my life, but I've never seen cyclists riding three abreast on a busy urban dual carriageway. If I ever did, I think I would just overtake them in the passing lane and get on with my life.

People are getting very worked up, probably the same people who cycle on the road, parallel with the cycle path...
I'm not worked up at all ... just vaguely disappointed. I do often ride on the road parallel to a cycle path though. Do you find that irksome as well?

I have to say please DO NOT stay in a cycle lane where it is just a marking for drivers.

Conscious drivers will sit out and glide past you and you will eventually get had by one who does not.

Totally in-effectual.

highlandsflyer":1o8m5b9f said:
I have to say please DO NOT stay in a cycle lane where it is just a marking for drivers.

Do you mean where the white line that denotes the edge of the road is about 2' from the kerb creating what looks like a cycle path but in actual fact is not? It's just where the local authorities have made the lanes narrower. I have a section of road like this near me and if I ride 1.5 to 2 feet out from the line it really pisses cars off. Cycling in the 'not a cycle lane' is hazardous because its full of debris, drain covers and has over hanging vegatation so I constantly have to go around stuff which means crossing the white line into the road. This is a 50mph road too.

This is typical of society today.
Cars do it to other cars, why only today I was following a learner driver and had to do about 20mph. So I just hung back and left a big gap.
Skoda driver behind me takes objection, tail gates me then nearly cause an accident when I had to brake sharply.
As we went different ways at the roundabout there was the usual magic beans signs and what have you.
The thing was I really wanted to hit him in the face, twice for good measure (I was in the firms pool car so it could have awkward!).

I hate this sort of thing, it happens everyday on the bike, but on the bike you always come off worse.

Cycle lanes make me laugh, they are full of parked cars, pedestrians or debris.
Even the ones on the seafront are full of "Swiss Family Gormless" at the weekends, even pointing out that it is a cycle lane doesn't register with them.

Having a bell doesn't work either. Using one gets you called all sorts of things and not using it receives calls of "Get a bell".

Sometimes I ask myself why do I it, then I remember I'm a stubborn sod.

Wouldn't it be great if we had cycle friendly countries with legislation to protect us like in Holland.........no wait a minute, has anyone tried cycling through the rush our in Amsterdam.

If i was a car driver in Holland I'd be super pee'd off with the system that says its my fault if I'm involved in an accident involving a cyclist regardless if it was the cyclists fault. A lot of Dutch cyclists I've observed (this leaves out those I've not observed thus preventing the accusation of a national targeted sweeping statement) are law breaking nutters. They pile along the streets on one braked tons of scrap iron often straight through red lights, texting or talking on their mobiles, no helmet, often no lights sometimes frankly oblivious to danger. Safe in the knowledge that they'll always be viewed as the poor wee victim of the nasty car driver. I for one do not want that system in the UK.

We all need to take responsibility for transporting ourselves by whatever means responsibly, courtiously and safely.
Some Hope :roll:

velomaniac":3n6yh2sr said:
Wouldn't it be great if we had cycle friendly countries with legislation to protect us like in Holland.........no wait a minute, has anyone tried cycling through the rush our in Amsterdam.

If i was a car driver in Holland I'd be super pee'd off with the system that says its my fault if I'm involved in an accident involving a cyclist regardless if it was the cyclists fault. A lot of Dutch cyclists I've observed (this leaves out those I've not observed thus preventing the accusation of a national targeted sweeping statement) are law breaking nutters. They pile along the streets on one braked tons of scrap iron often straight through red lights, texting or talking on their mobiles, no helmet, often no lights sometimes frankly oblivious to danger. Safe in the knowledge that they'll always be viewed as the poor wee victim of the nasty car driver. I for one do not want that system in the UK.

We all need to take responsibility for transporting ourselves by whatever means responsibly, courtiously and safely.
Some Hope :roll:

I can't speak for the Netherlands.... But certainly in Denmark I think you've totally got the wrong end of the stick about what we call "objective liability". Basically - as third party insurance is a legal requirement for motorists, but not for cyclists - then this is the way of sorting things fast and simple for the "weaker" party. But if negligence, culpable behaviour or whatever - then the insurance companies involved can battle it out afterwards - and usually outside of a courtroom, using precedent, case history and agreed practice as legal basis.

The texting-while-cycling and wotnot is a permanent feature of Danish urban cycling - but I don't think that your line of reasoning enters into the equation atall. Some people are just dim.

By the same reasoning - if I crash into another Danish driver when I'm in my car, then we cover each others' costs - by rule of thumb. But then the insurance companies agree on the settlement by apportioning blame.

Basically this is just to get people up and running again, as fast as possible - and the financial aspects just get tied up in the aftermath.

So if the Dutch have a similar model to the Danish one, I think you may be missing the point slightly.

the rules go:
when i'm in a car: f**k you
when i'm on a bike: f**k you

there are no friends when it comes to road users. just people you haven't cut up yet.
i don't see it ever changing for the better. so i'll just carry on using the roads and cycle paths as i see fit and just do as much as i can to avoid/ hope that i don't ever get involved in anything more than a verbal slanging match.

Ian Raleigh":1sifkgwg said:
dbmtb":1sifkgwg said:
BertR00t":1sifkgwg said:
Anyone following this guy on twitter? https://twitter.com/CycleHatred
Retweets negative comments about cyclists. Some are comical, some unbelievable.
Well that cheered me up no end....

Who is Harriet Egar ? She needs a good 'bitch slapping' :roll:

dont think you are the only one who has something to say to her about that:

https://twitter.com/BeanyPemberton/stat ... 4351553536

she still manages to come off sounding a complete div.

Latest posts

Back