Guitar solo......one of my fav old 30's tunes but on guitar

highlandsflyer":2mktp0nk said:
Sea Sick Steve could not wipe the piss off Clapton's toilet as a player.
Seasick Steve has more rock'n'roll in his little finger than Eric has in his entire left hand. Clapton may have technique ... but he's so dull!

highlandsflyer":2mz1iqdk said:
Footnote.

In terms of technique, no. In terms of feel, quite possibly.

The two are worlds apart, musically and stylistically. Seasick Steve is far more rootsy (favouring a Country Blues/Delta sound that's decidedly lo-fi in it's approach and highly rhythm orientated) whilst I find Clapton generally aires on a more Chicago Blues style (favouring electric guitar and a more 'modern' blues sound with emphasis on the solo'ing) Both are good artists, although I favour Seasick Steve as I'm a great fan of Country Blues, in particular North Mississippi Hill Country Blues.

RustyGold":yuh0qnki said:
highlandsflyer":yuh0qnki said:
Footnote.

In terms of technique, no. In terms of feel, quite possibly.

The two are worlds apart, musically and stylistically. Seasick Steve is far more rootsy (favouring a Country Blues/Delta sound that's decidedly lo-fi in it's approach and highly rhythm orientated) whilst I find Clapton generally aires on a more Chicago Blues style (favouring electric guitar and a more 'modern' blues sound with emphasis on the solo'ing) Both are good artists, although I favour Seasick Steve as I'm a great fan of Country Blues, in particular North Mississippi Hill Country Blues.

Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' ;)
I try not to listen to anything Eric has done since the 80's!

mass199":3j3l76cq said:
Clapton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' ;)

True, having said that Clapton will pretty much employ any lick/riff from any blues artist, he knows 'em all. Having said that, I hear a lot more B.B.King, Albert King and Freddy King for that matter in his playing than any Robert Johnson (aside from his cover album :roll:). To me he has a far more 'electric' blues style/touch ala Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Shines, etc...than that of Robert Johnson's complex finger-picking delta approach.

Likewise on the eighties Clapton reference ;). Although, I think he peaked in Cream, maybe Blind Faith at a push ;)

mass199":1n8lrhny said:
Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues'
Johnson - played fingerstyle with a slide, accompanied himself, raw, edgy, energetic, threatening.

Clapton - plays mostly electric, with a pick, in a band, smooth, radio-friendly, white-bread, and dull.

I have a very hard time seeing the connection.

There's certainly a market for what Eric does, but there are so many others who do it so much better.

RustyGold":1xz8le4a said:
mass199":1xz8le4a said:
Clapton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' ;)

True, having said that Clapton will pretty much employ any lick/riff from any blues artist, he knows 'em all. Having said that, I hear a lot more B.B.King, Albert King and Freddy King for that matter in his playing than any Robert Johnson (aside from his cover album :roll:). To me he has a far more 'electric' blues style/touch ala Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Shines, etc...than that of Robert Johnson's complex finger-picking delta approach.

Likewise on the eighties Clapton reference ;). Although, I think he peaked in Cream, maybe Blind Faith at a push ;)

I guess he was trying to be as good as Jimi ;)

one-eyed_jim":1zyo1fts said:
mass199":1zyo1fts said:
Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues'
Johnson - played fingerstyle with a slide, accompanied himself, raw, edgy, energetic, threatening.

Clapton - plays mostly electric, with a pick, in a band, smooth, radio-friendly, white-bread, and dull.

I have a very hard time seeing the connection.

There's certainly a market for what Eric does, but there are so many others who do it so much better.

I know what they do/did but Johnson is his biggest influence, I was stating a fact ;)

What you have here, essentially, are two whyte boys aping the blues.

One was doing it out of obsessive admiration, and thanks to amazing technique and FEEL became one of the most significant players of several generations; whose influence aided the promotion of what are now bona fide blues legends. That is beyond question.

The other is a late entry retro style player who is bringing nothing to the table except his whiteness, and his admittedly charming sense of humour. If he was all that, where the hell was he the last thirty years?

highlandsflyer":3q18xg0l said:
If he was all that, where the hell was he the last thirty years?

Whilst I generally agree with you regarding Seasick Steve, he isn't the best example of technique although he does exude a certain lo-fi charm. It's worth noting, however, that there's a history of 'forgotten' Blues artists who went through long periods of inactivity. A great portion of the blues artists we now regard with reverence were forgotten for large portions of time, or didn't record until their forties/fifties.

A great many blues artists were recorded Pre-War and then simply forgotten or were rendered inactive when consumers tastes changed and sales tailed off, only to be re-discovered in the blues boom of the fifties/sixties - a few names that spring to mind; Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, Son House, Booker 'Bukka' White, etc..

Many of the Hill Country Blues artists weren't recorded until later in their lives; R.L Burnside, Junior Kimborough, T-Model Ford, etc..

Just some food for thought :).

Latest posts

Back